Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewbobaggins said:
Here's one I'm working on...

Nice label! I like the tone of your informational paragraphs too; friendly and not overly formal.

FYI, you've got a typo at "...greatest song ever recorded..." I'd hate to see you print a bunch of these off and discover it later.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta roll, can't stand still, gotta flaming heart, can't get my fill.

:mug:

Any wet shavers here? I always thought this might become a good label for those who know ....

arko_29.jpg

My preference would be to put it on a lemon shandy but ... who knows. .... ;)

Wow you guys all have some great labels. I haven't made my own based on the fact I have like 150 Summit bottles that they must have nuclear engineered the labels onto, but I'm working on it!

Working on label designs. So far I've got the logo more or less how I like it. Adding the style/ABV/IBU stats might be done as hazmat warning diamonds or as elemental symbols (such as with a good Periodic Table of Beer Styles).

Black & White:
9LL0wBJ.png

With some color:
yCdYnHA.png

Full Label B&W:
JCF6TQe.png

Full Label Color:
qYBUPPh.png

Hey there guys. There's so many replies in the thread so to save time do anyone have the answer to sticking paper labels to plastic bottles?
One thing is that it must come off after so it can be reused. I have glass bottles and use milk to stick them on but havnt tried plastic bottles with my labels. Will milk work to??

Cheers

Hey there guys. There's so many replies in the thread so to save time do anyone have the answer to sticking paper labels to plastic bottles?
One thing is that it must come off after so it can be reused. I have glass bottles and use milk to stick them on but havnt tried plastic bottles with my labels. Will milk work to??

Cheers

I don't have the good solution, but I can save you some time experimenting with milk or gelatin. They don't work well on plastic..........

I've found that a combination of milk/gelatin can be pretty strong stuff and might stick to plastic. Mix up a one-to-one blend until it starts to congeal and then microwave it for like 5-10 seconds - you'll be able to apply it to the label and the bottle while it stays hot.

Other than that, maybe a hot glue gun would work. You can just pull and scrap the glue off when you're done with it.

OhReally said:
Nice label! I like the tone of your informational paragraphs too; friendly and not overly formal.

FYI, you've got a typo at "...greatest song ever recorded..." I'd hate to see you print a bunch of these off and discover it later.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta roll, can't stand still, gotta flaming heart, can't get my fill.

:mug:

Muchos gracias!

I've found that a combination of milk/gelatin can be pretty strong stuff and might stick to plastic. Mix up a one-to-one blend until it starts to congeal and then microwave it for like 5-10 seconds - you'll be able to apply it to the label and the bottle while it stays hot.

Other than that, maybe a hot glue gun would work. You can just pull and scrap the glue off when you're done with it.

Works really well on glass, but sucks on plastic (at least in my experience)

Thanks guys. Do u think a glue stick will be ok or nah?

?? - Try one and let us know. I usually only use one PET bottle per batch to test for carbonation, but would be good to know in case I decide to bottle some up especially for camping or the like.

Cheers

Rubber band FTW!

Here are my latest Gitmoe-inspired brown paper labels. I cut the paper to 8.5" x 11" size, and then printed them 9 up. I used a straightedge metal ruler to rip them to size for that craft look, and then used a glue stick around the edges and with an X through the middle to stick them to the bottles.

8485501998_40a0e36ebd_c.jpg

8484407783_ac273aa99e_c.jpg

Cheers!

Made on Inkscape and GIMP.

Gonna go on paper bags, do you guys just grab em from the grocery store?

image-3712090057.jpg

I bought a roll of brown paper from my local arts and crafts store. I think it's 30" x 120 feet long. I just cut what I need off it. My printer is pretty forgiving so I'm not even that exact with the pages being exactly letter size.

Cultkid said:
Here are my latest Gitmoe-inspired brown paper labels. I cut the paper to 8.5" x 11" size, and then printed them 9 up. I used a straightedge metal ruler to rip them to size for that craft look, and then used a glue stick around the edges and with an X through the middle to stick them to the bottles.

Cheers!

Those came out great. I need to make a big trip to the craft store for supplies to try some new ideas. I also ordered a custom rubber stamp from an internet store to start stamping my "brewery" name on bottle caps. Makes me happy to have inspired some great labels in this thread.

Those came out great. I need to make a big trip to the craft store for supplies to try some new ideas. I also ordered a custom rubber stamp from an internet store to start stamping my "brewery" name on bottle caps. Makes me happy to have inspired some great labels in this thread.

It's funny that you say that, because I did the same thing last week :tank:

I also ordered a special ink for watermarking the paper with a semi-transparent "brewery" logo watermark.

Here are my latest Gitmoe-inspired brown paper labels. I cut the paper to 8.5" x 11" size, and then printed them 9 up. I used a straightedge metal ruler to rip them to size for that craft look, and then used a glue stick around the edges and with an X through the middle to stick them to the bottles.Cheers!

Those look really nice! How are you adhering them?

Hey everyone who is wayyyy more artistic than me! Im looking to have a logo designed for my "brewery" I figured someone on here may be able to help me out.

What Im looking for...

Brewery name: Two Hounds Brewing
( it is named after the two hounds my wife and I have, a brown/red dachshund and a black and tan coonhound mix ( rescue dog).

I want a logo that includes the name, and a representaion of both dogs that I can place on all my labels I build. Nothing crazy, but simple/professional looking, basically something that would look good on bottles, placed on equipment etc

I am willing to pay for someone to design this ( please let me know aprox how much you would charge, and we can go from there) send me a PM if you might have the talents to design me a logo!

Cultkid said:
It's funny that you say that, because I did the same thing last week :tank:

I also ordered a special ink for watermarking the paper with a semi-transparent "brewery" logo watermark.

Link to the watermarking ink? I'd be interested in something like that. Sounds rad.

Link to the watermarking ink? I'd be interested in something like that. Sounds rad.

http://www.clearsnap.com/product-category.cfm?top-boss-watermark-ink

This is what they had at the Michaels near me. There may be other stuff, but this is what I will be using.

I know it will be a lot of work, but I am thinking of making some woodcut labels and using the watermark ink on them with the brown paper. It should look really nice. I can create different woodcut blocks, and then dust with different colored chalks on the watermark ink. Still deciding if I want to use that much time up on labels... maybe for a special occasion or something.

I'm having a hard time getting the brown paper to adhere with a glue stick, maybe I just need to put it on a lot thicker. I'll keep at it.

I'm having a hard time getting the brown paper to adhere with a glue stick, maybe I just need to put it on a lot thicker. I'll keep at it.

I don't know... I just apply it. I don't think it's that thick... it's a glue stick after all... it doesn't need to stay on there until doomsday for me...

Made some minor changes to the ultra simple labels. Brewed this baby last night, so this is the first one that will be going to print, with one for a Dunkelweizen in the naming stage now and will be the second of these guys to come to life.

'von Gottes Gnaden' is german for 'By the Grace of God", which aptly describes how we didn't lose this batch after a seemingly endless stuck sparge.

von Gottes Gnaden.jpg

Cultkid said:
http://www.clearsnap.com/product-category.cfm?top-boss-watermark-ink

This is what they had at the Michaels near me. There may be other stuff, but this is what I will be using.

I know it will be a lot of work, but I am thinking of making some woodcut labels and using the watermark ink on them with the brown paper. It should look really nice. I can create different woodcut blocks, and then dust with different colored chalks on the watermark ink. Still deciding if I want to use that much time up on labels... maybe for a special occasion or something.

That looks pretty awesome. I've also toyed with the idea of woodcuts. I spend a ridiculous amount of time on labels and packaging but I love it. Being a designer, doing the packaging is as fun as brewing for me. What's the font you used on the rauchbier? I've been looking for a better old Bavarian style typeface. I really like that one.

Working on label designs. So far I've got the logo more or less how I like it. Adding the style/ABV/IBU stats might be done as hazmat warning diamonds or as elemental symbols (such as with a good Periodic Table of Beer Styles).

Black & White:
9LL0wBJ.png

With some color:

Full Label B&W:

Full Label Color:

Can you tell me where you picked up your images (in particular, the yeast)? I'm adding these to my next label, but have struggled getting any vector based image of yeast and couldn't come up with much in terms of search terms that would lead to something usable. Any help would be appreciated.

These are my first two labels I entered into my first competition. The IPA didn't carbonate very well, so that one didn't do too well, but the vanilla porter got some great responses!

image-724970216.jpg

image-522260113.jpg

I just realized that I insinuated that I entered the labels into a competition. I hope we all understand I was referring to the beer, not the labels. They were just for show! However both labels got good feedback as well!

That looks pretty awesome. I've also toyed with the idea of woodcuts. I spend a ridiculous amount of time on labels and packaging but I love it. Being a designer, doing the packaging is as fun as brewing for me. What's the font you used on the rauchbier? I've been looking for a better old Bavarian style typeface. I really like that one.

Ahahaha! So, the plot thickens! I too am a designer. Once upon a time I worked as a Sr. Art Director for one of the biggest advertising agencies in the world. But I dropped out and now I drive a bus. lol. Less stress. Now I only do freelance design work, but it's no longer my day-job as it was for 15 years. I only take on projects I am personally interested in and/or feel a connection to. My design and art has gone back to being my personal fun-time instead of my 60+ hour a week job. The best way to kill your creative juices is to work for a bunch of suits.

I think Banksy said it best when he said; "The thing I hate the most about advertising is that it attracts all the bright, creative and ambitious young people, leaving us mainly with the slow and self-obsessed to become our artists. Modern art is a disaster area. Never in the field of human history has so much been used by so many to say so little."

Anyways, I digress. The font you're looking for is a free font called Dirt2 Soul Stalker. I got my copy from http://www.1001freefonts.com/Dirt2Soulstalker.php

That's awesome. Thanks for the font link. I'm one of those young burgeoning designers. But I have no ambitions of going to work for suits. I do freelance. Unfortunately not only jobs that interest me. That would be nice. I'm hoping to score a job doing design for one of the hundred breweries we have in the Philly area. I'm interning at one right now. I work at a homebrew shop for my day job. Not a bad combo. I'm never thirsty...

Back