1st Cider Home Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden_milo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I found this forum online and was blown away with all the info sharing that takes place... I'm pumped that this place exists! I have wanted to make home brew for a few years now and thanks to everyone here, I worked up the courage to try it out.

I started my first brew, a cider last Friday - Apr 4, 2013.

I used apple juice from the grocery store. 100%, no preservatives (except vit c) and after a few gravity readings... it seems to be working!

heres my brew. (very basic)

12L 100% macintosh juice
1 cup brown sugar
1 pack - lalvin EC 1118 yeast

set up

25L brew pail
bung
air lock w/ vokda
68F

day 1 - little action
day 2 - more c02 bubbles then I could count through the airlock.
day 3-4 - I went away & returned to no airlock action.

I got worried, previously reading fermentation should take at least a week and to wait for 1 bubble/min before even thinking of racking... SO I shook the container around... (not sure what I was thinking)

then I read later on, not to panic. I took a gravity reading. 1.02 and tasted. Its ok, not bad.. but rather light and dry. I guess I'll end up with some pretty cloudy cider @ the end, but perhaps a little extra waiting/aging will clear it out,

day 5 - gravity 1.004 (I think its done!) Still, dry tasting and light on apple flavour.. I'll take another reading tomorrow to be certain.

That'll put it just over 5% I think?

That's it for my 1st brew. Now, time to hit the store for more brewing supplies...

I gotta start my second brew cause I'll only have 12L!! what was I thinking!?

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Back