Bulk English Hop Varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp1365

Reaction score
I am looking to make a purchase soon of bulk hops. The majority of styles that I brew center around the English Styles (Mild, Bitters, Porter, Stout, etc.).

The problem that I am running into is that most places only carry one variety of English hop. I need some suggestions on varieties to look at for my English beers. I was hoping to order from Hops Direct.

Hops I have enjoyed working with:
EK Goldings
Whitbread Goldings Variety
UK Challenger
UK Progress

Also I am not a big fan of Fuggles. I have a beer that I just bottled this weekend that may change that opinion, but for the most part my beers with Fuggles have underwhelmed.

Thanks in advance.

I guess I didn't make my first post clear enough, sorry. Those are the hop varieties that I like working with, unfortunately Hops Direct does not sell any English varieties outside of Fuggles. I am looking for some alternative varieties that I may be able to work with for my English beers.

How eager are you to buy? It says on hopsdirect's website that all their imported hops are still 2008. You could shoot them an email to see what varieties they anticipate selling and an ETA.

I guess I didn't make my first post clear enough, sorry. Those are the hop varieties that I like working with, unfortunately Hops Direct does not sell any English varieties outside of Fuggles. I am looking for some alternative varieties that I may be able to work with for my English beers.

Looks like they have Bullion and Northern Brewer whole hops which are both used in English ales, Styrian Goldings pellets.
Jim:mug:

Given what you've said, I go with Challenger for bittering and Kent Goldings for flavor/aroma. Hard to be more English than that! :D That said, I often opt for Fuggles, but then again I like Fuggles.

Good luck!

Bob

I've been trying to stay away from Fuggles, but it looks like that might not be possible.

Question though, has anyone dealt with US Goldings? How do these compare to UK Goldings?

Currently I am looking at an order for 3#
1# US Goldings
1# Willamette
1# Galena

I did look at Nikobrew and the only thing problem I have is that the prices are almost double Hops Direct. Though I may order from them based on their selection.

I did look at Nikobrew and the only thing problem I have is that the prices are almost double Hops Direct. Though I may order from them based on their selection.

Don't forget that Niko does flat rate shipping ($5), HopsDirect charges exact UPS shipping. I doubt that will completely make up the price difference, but will help.

Don't forget that Niko does flat rate shipping ($5), HopsDirect charges exact UPS shipping. I doubt that will completely make up the price difference, but will help.

I did notice that but unfortunately even before shipping my entire order at Hops Direct would be less than 1# of EKG at Niko.

Back