Need a new stovetop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmendez29

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last summer, I remodeled my kitchen. Not just new cabinets and appliances, but the whole deal. Gutted it right down to the studs and started from scratch. As part of the deal, I replaced my stove which was older than I am. Seriously, it was 37 years old when I replaced it.

Anyways, it has now been just a little over a year since I took delivery of the appliances. Of course, right after the warranty runs out. Two days ago I discovered a crack right across one of the burners on my glass top stove. I was already wound up from an argument that I was in the middle of, so this seriously sent me over the deep end. But today, I looked a little closer, and the whole top is cracked all over the place. I don't know if it was like that before and I didn't notice or if it got worse. But what I can't figure out is if it is temperature related or if somebody dropped something on my stove. Everybody in the house swears that they didn't do it (of course).

So I remember reading somewhere a while ago, pretty sure it was on HBT, that I might as well just replace the whole stove because the replacement top will cost nearly as much as a new stove. I looked around on the interwebz for a while but couldn't find any hard numbers. So I figured I would ask the most resourceful people I know.

Does anyone know where to find a replacement stovetop for a reasonable price? If not, I'm going to install a gas stove. Turns out, I work with a guy who's wife works at Whirlpool. Pretty sure I can get a great deal.

I have never replaced just the glass top but I am reasonably sure its not all that complicated. You might find a deal on craigs list, I just got a 2 or 3 yr old GE 5 burner ceramic top convection over for $200 right before Thanksgiving

I have never replaced just the glass top but I am reasonably sure its not all that complicated. You might find a deal on craigs list, I just got a 2 or 3 yr old GE 5 burner ceramic top convection over for $200 right before Thanksgiving

I'm positive it can't be that complicated. It's the main reason why I'm looking to find the top directly. I read a couple of articles about how the repair company gets their markup on the part and the final cost on the top would be almost $400. Then they get to charge you for labor, and in the end it cost around $500-600. That's more than I paid for the stove. And as for CL, not really looking for a used one. Not that I'm proud, but I'm pretty sure I can get a new Whirlpool for around that much through my coworker.

Go gas, you will never look back.

I wanted to get a gas stove, but I was already way over budget on my kitchen, and I would still have to get a gas line installed. Of all the things that I'd be willing to try and do on my own, playing with a gas line is not one of them. But since then, I've met a guy who does restaurant appliance repair for Hobart. He's got the certifications to work on that kind of stuff. So now the decision comes down to money. If I can get a replacement top for $200, its the more economical way to go. Besides, I really do like the way it looks. But if I'm going to end up paying $400 or more, I'm pretty sure I can get a gas setup for that much, or maybe a little bit more after tossing my buddy a little cash for running a gas line for me.

I need to buy a new top for mine, and the cheapest I found it was $225.

Try here:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/

Figures. They don't even list my model number. I'll have to call them, but looking at other ones, it seems that the prices are around 245. I'm assuming I'll have to pay shipping after that too.

Gas, and if you don't, don't buy another one of those crappy glass tops. Sure, they look nice, but they aren't worth crap.

Back