Apfelwein help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
I made apfewein using edwort recipe on 5/17, I just took a gravity reading and is 1.10 after a month. I did not want to put the sample back into the better bottle so I drank it but i was not too impress. Its not sweet at all, its smells like pinot grigio but it does not have the wine after taste that most wine have..its kind of watery...it taste like water down alcohol...not sure if this is going to improve but I follow the recipe by the book and not sure where i went wrong...any help please

1.10? or 1.010 ? 1.10 means your yeast was dead. 1.010 means your apfelwein isn't finished fermenting yet.

Give the fermenter a swirl to kick up some yeasties and get them going again. What temp has/is it fermenting at? I had mine in the fermeenter for 6 weeks before I bottled/started drinking it. Definitely has more of a wine quality, though people say the apples come back over time. Mine at least smells like apples right now, and has the faintest taste of them too.

yeah 1.010 sorry...it has been fermenting between 68 and 75 degree..we had a few hot days and it went up as high as 75 on my fermenter...do you think that could be the reason? maybe to high?

I made apfewein using edwort recipe on 5/17, I just took a gravity reading and is 1.10 after a month. I did not want to put the sample back into the better bottle so I drank it but i was not too impress. Its not sweet at all, its smells like pinot grigio but it does not have the wine after taste that most wine have..its kind of watery...it taste like water down alcohol...not sure if this is going to improve but I follow the recipe by the book and not sure where i went wrong...any help please

You didn't go wrong anywhere, it's what apfelwein tastes like until it is aged properly.

what flavor profile are you looking for in an apple type drink? there are many recipes and if you describe to me the flavor or drink type you are after I can tell you what recipe will produce what you are looking for.

Im looking for a smooth wine witch i am going to degas and bottle in wine bottles

Brandon, maybe you can give me sopme advice. I started two batches of Edworts recipe on March 15th. Both of them have yet to clear-still pretty hazy. Whats more they have been at this point since about a month into the game. I have left them alone and let nature takes it course but it seems after three months it should be clear.

Should I continue to let it go or is it time for some fining soulutions so I can get this stuff into the bottles? I appreciate your advice.

I would leave it alone. I have three batches goign now, started from February-march (april?) and none are clear yet. Now, i'm fermenting cool, as winemaking room is rather cooler than ideal, but still, jsut be patient.

Thanks EPT. Its still sitting on the Lees. Should I leave the Lees or rack the wine off of them?

My son made a batch of this and it taste incredible-I can hardly wait for mine to get there. I'm thinking I should go ahaead and start another batch.

If you think that tastes good, try using nottingham or safale s-04 next time.

Those yeasts will leave a lot more of the apple flavor behind, Just make sure you can ferment at 68 degrees if you use a beer yeast.

Also a newbie. If I cut the apfelwein recipe down to one gallon to start, should i still use an entire 5g packet of yeast?

You can, but montrachet is a pretty aggressive yeast. It won't make to much of a difference either way.

If you were to make a single gallon, would you personally cut the yeast to 1 g or put the whole five in?

I'm cheap, so if I was making Apfelwein I would cut back, but if I was making something more expensive, I'd pitch the whole thing just so there is less chance of the fermentation not taking off.

Back