Kudo's to Hopsdirect again.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
$21.93 delivered for 1# of Galena and Cascade whole hops from hopsdirect.com. The galena weighed in at 2.3# and the cascade at 1.9#. Think they just grab handfuls and jam em in the bag. Hop pillows via crappy cell camera:

img088.jpg

img089.jpg

olllllo said:
I'll bring my randall this weekend for the cascades.

cool - my IPA will like the randall. It's mellowed and is quite tasty now IMO.

I've got to throw out some kudos to hopsdirect as well. Last week I ordered a pound each of cascade and centennial. Since I'm only about 40 miles away I drove over to pick them up (and stopped at snipes mountain brewing company for a few pints and lunch). When I got home and vacuum packed them into smaller bags my totals ended up just over 2 pounds of each. The woman there (Elizabeth I think was her name) said the new harvest is expected to be in around october and I'll be sure to head over and stock up.

James

Slightly off-topic... Is there a standard ratio to use for whole hops when the recipe calls for pellets? I'd like to try whole hops but am unsure about this...

The default settings in beersmith are for -10% for leaf hops and -8% for plug hops.

For 1oz centennial (at 10.6%) for 60 minutes with pellet hops the IBU listed is 36.9, for the same hops as leaf it says its 33.2 IBU

I recall seeing more information somewhere on the web but I'm not sure where

James

On a related question, since I'm also one who has almost always used pellets, does that adjustment relate only to the bittering aspects of the hops, or does flavor/aroma extraction also need to be adjusted by ~10%?

Just wanted to chip in my $.02 as well since it is my first order... hopsdirect is pretty awesome.

1.8# Cascade (6.6%AA) - ($22 + $7.87 shipping for a 1# order)
10254-Hops2.JPG

Vacuum-sealed and ready for the freezer
10254-Hops3.JPG

I just parsed out my Willamette 1# order into 1- and 2-oz vacuum packages.

It weighed in at 25 ounces (hops only, packaging excluded). I expect the same from the other two "1 lb" packages I ordered. Mmmmmm, hops.

PS: I noticed last night that they had Amarillo hops again in whole leaf. I recall they were pretty hard to find not too long ago.

Latest posts

Back