Sanitation practices when adding flavoring at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehopbandit

Reaction score
I brewed the Austin Homebrew Raspberry Wheat and it is approaching bottle time. This recipe came with a small 2 oz. bottle of Raspberry Flavoring and the instructions to say to add it to the bottling bucket, before bottling.

Since I always am thinking about sanitation, is it going to be alright to just dump that flavoring into the bottling bucket, no boil or anything?

In addition, does this type of flavoring have any fermentable sugars in it to the point where I need to worry about adjusting how much priming sugar I add so that I don't overcarb?

Thanks!

Just sanitize the bottle (I.e. dunk it in your bucket of Starsan ) before opening it. And normally the flavorings do not contain sugar so good to go there

Personally I would add it to the priming sugar and two cups of boiling water. Then it is sanitized.

NRS

Personally I would add it to the priming sugar and two cups of boiling water. Then it is sanitized.

NRS

I was considering this, but I wasn't sure how the extract/flavoring would behave at those temperatures. I didn't want to mess it up somehow.

I've used the flavor extracts numerous times by simply sanitizing the bottle and dumping it straight into my keg. No issues here.

Back