Noob with a question about Hydrometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFP51

Reaction score
Hello to everyone in the forum. I am very new to brewing, and have learned a ton from reading the posts in this forum. I am having one problem though, that I am sure some of you of a certain age can relate to. Simply put, I can't read the dang hydrometer, even with my glasses on, when I am trying to take a gravity reading. My LHBS only sells two kinds of hydrometers, both of which have very small markings. I gotta believe that someone makes a hydrometer that old farts with bad eyes can read. Any help?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

You could always get yourself one of the high end hydrometers from Fisher Scientific or the like. They still have small markings, but typically over a much smaller range so the marks are farther apart. They aint cheap, though...usually $50 a pop.

Beyond that, not sure... Try taking a picture of the reading with a digital camera, then blow it up as large as you want on your computer? If you fill up your test jar to the very top and then let the hydrometer overflow it a bit, your reading level will be right at the top of the jar. That can be a bit easier.

Maybe a refractometer could help you out there. Otherwise, if your eyes are that big, try taking a digital picture of it and then zooming in once the picture is taken.

To answer your question, though, I don't think they make large type hydrometers. :D

Thanks guys. Alas, the glasses aren't enough. Then again, I am not sure if it is al that fired important whether I can see if the liquid level is on one of the lines or between it. At least, it doesn't seem important enough to go to the drug store and get a magnifying glass (yet):confused:

DFP51 said:
Thanks guys. Alas, the glasses aren't enough. Then again, I am not sure if it is al that fired important whether I can see if the liquid level is on one of the lines or between it. At least, it doesn't seem important enough to go to the drug store and get a magnifying glass (yet):confused:

Realistically, a point or two difference doesn't make or break a beer. On the line, near the line, vaguely near the line...it's all the same. :mug:

Beersmith is only going to be accurate if you hit every parameter you set exactly on the nose. Maybe it works for you, but in general I would consider that terrible advice.

As others have said, if you aren't exact but close, close hydrometer readings should be more than sufficient unless you want to know your ABV exactly, in which case you will need more sophisticated tools than a standard hydrometer.

cheaters_lg.jpg

Where I hail from we call them, "cheaters." That's what I use.

true, but i guess i should qualify what i meant: for those who aren't looking to enter their beers into competitions

Realistically, a point or two difference doesn't make or break a beer. On the line, near the line, vaguely near the line...it's all the same. :mug:

This. If I had an issue reading the hydrometer, I'd just put on my magnifying hood that I use for close electronic soldering. Cheap and effective.

Latest posts

Back