Dry Yeast Options for Pale Ales (American and English)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Hello -

Would some knowledgeable folks please discuss the nuances, pros/cons etc, of dry yeast options for pale ales? I am going to brew an English and an American pale ale, and would like to choose a yeast for each.

For the English, I am considering Nottingham and S04 (possibly Windsor?); for the American, I am considering BRY-97 and S05. Having said that, I am open to suggestions.

My hops for the English are Fuggle, and my hops for the American are Chinook.

My goal is clean, yet malty, with good aroma and flavor from the hops. My IBU goals for each would, ideally, be just a hair over 30.

Thanks in advance -

Ron

I like the nottingham, i have used it a few times, and liked the outcome. I have a DIPA on us05 right now, and its my first time, so i cant comment yet, other then it is fast....but for flavor, no comment yet.

I use S-05 for all my beers that aren't yeast driven (Belgian, saison, Brett, lagers, kolsch, etc.) I live a long way from a HBS and dry yeast stores better and is cheaper. I would say it goes in 75% of my beers, never had an issue. Clean, ferments well, perfect for any American style. I have only used 04 a couple of times and just didn't really like it. Can't tell you exactly what it was but I haven't used it in years because of that impression. I have used Notty and Windsor with good results but I prefer clean American yeast to British.

I'm not a fan of S04 and think Nottingham is fine fermented cooler at 62-64, no warmer. I really like US-05 and think it is very clean and predictable but ONLY within a certain temperature range. I always use it at 68 degrees. Any cooler and it gets a weird fruity peachy quality, any warmer and it seems to blow through the wort too quick and get a little fusel taste.

Hi, everyone, and thanks for the replies so far.

It sounds as though I can't really go wrong with S05 for the American Pale Ale.

For the English Pale Ale, I'd say that the jury is still out. From the little reading I've done, it seems to come down to Nottingham, S04 or Windsor, for something with English characteristics; S04 seems to be at the head of the pack as the most "English" of them, but perhaps I am misinterpreting something.

The trouble is, it looks like those "English" characteristics vary across a spectrum, from dry and clear to fruity and heavy-bodied. This assumes that I am reading the available information correctly.

I'll have to think on it, and perhaps choose the one that seems to split the difference, whichever that may be....:confused:

Or you could split the wort into 4 fermenters and pitch a different yeast in each with S-05 as something of a clean control that allows you to evaluate the differences between the 3 British yeasts for yourself. It's really the only way you're going to know.

Here's another vote for S05 for the American pale ale. I've never done an English pale ale with dry yeast but I have done a pale mild (based on NB AK47 pale mild kit) using either Nottingham (5 batches), Windsor(2 batches), or S04 (1 batch).

I have been the happiest with Nottingham. It seems to ferment a little cleaner in my hands and allow the biscuity maltiness of the mild to come through. Windsor produced a drinkable beer but seemed to be a little harsh and not as malty. Perhaps I fermented it too warm and those are fusel alcohols coming through (my notes are sub-optimal). I don't recall much about the S04 and didn't take good notes. All I remember is that I wasn't happy with the end result and have not tried it again.

Hi, everyone, and thanks for the replies so far.

It sounds as though I can't really go wrong with S05 for the American Pale Ale.

For the English Pale Ale, I'd say that the jury is still out. From the little reading I've done, it seems to come down to Nottingham, S04 or Windsor, for something with English characteristics; S04 seems to be at the head of the pack as the most "English" of them, but perhaps I am misinterpreting something.

The trouble is, it looks like those "English" characteristics vary across a spectrum, from dry and clear to fruity and heavy-bodied. This assumes that I am reading the available information correctly.

I'll have to think on it, and perhaps choose the one that seems to split the difference, whichever that may be....:confused:

I agree with using US-05 for the American pale ale. I would not consider using Windsor for the English pale ale. Attenuation for Windsor is very low. Most likely would leave the beer too sweet.

Haven't used Nottingham or S-04 so no comment on those two.

Thanks again for the continued replies, guys - it is great to be able to tap into everyone's experience.

I have been the happiest with Nottingham. It seems to ferment a little cleaner in my hands and allow the biscuity maltiness of the mild to come through.

This is exactly what I am going for. I am using Maris Otter as my base malt, and really like the character that it gives to a beer.

I'll move Nottingham to the top of the "English" list, with S05 heading the "American." Unless I get some new, earth-shattering news, I'll stay with those.

These are going to be pretty simple, straightforward beers, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of each project ~

In my experience, Nottingham and S05 provide quite similar results for the type of beer you're talking about.

If you want a more distinct difference, I'd go for S04 or Windsor for the English-themed version of the beer. Personally, of these 2, I'd go S04 all the way as I've not been very happy with results obtained with Windsor in the few times I've used it. As mentioned, Windsor is a quite low attenuator.

For the clean/dry US version, S05 is a fine choice, but I will put a vote in for BRY-97; it's probably the closest thing I have to a "house yeast" as it has never let me down. S05 has been a solid performer for me as well, but there have been a few batches where I had some curious results.

Back