Interesting amber ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djangotet

Reaction score
Hello!

I am looking to keep a house strain but I want something a bit more characterful than WLP001. Styles I enjoy are pale ales, IPA, and I’m trying to play with more malty styles like amber ales. I want to find something that lets malt AND yeast shine. I’m not opposed to esters. I’ve looked into BRY-97 and Wyeast 1272. I also considered making American beers with Verdant IPA but I’m not sure how that would turn out?

I was wondering if you can suggest a yeast that doesn’t hide anything?

I brewed a fairly hoppy Amber using WY 1318, London III. Main reason for that yeast, I have jars full of it.
Pretty tasty, surprisingly showcasing all three: malt, hops, and yeast.

I brewed a fairly hoppy Amber using WY 1318, London III. Main reason for that yeast, I have jars full of it.
Pretty tasty, surprisingly showcasing all three: malt, hops, and yeast.
Thanks! I was thinking this yeast would work for more than just NEIPAs. Only thing is the flocc but I don’t get too hung up on that.

Lallemand Koln is a wonderful yeast, and for more than just Kolsch. Fermentation character is restrained, but still much more interesting than something like US-05.

WY1007 (German ale) is another good all-purpose yeast that brings something to the party while not dancing on the tables.

Verdant is my go to strain for anything american hop. I have also used it successfully in a tropical stout, so it also works well with dark beers. You should really give it a try!

Some more malty American ambers I have tried have been sort of like an American version of a strong bitter.
I think a slightly fruity yeast might very well fit the style.
Verdant may be a bit too fruity though.
I don't know why our how, but this verdant fruitiness seems to almost disappear when used with American hops. I cannot taste it within my latest batch at all.

I really like Wy1469
I love this idea. I've never used 1469 but have heard good things and really want to try it soon.

Otherwise I was going to suggest WLP005 British and WLP029 German as both slightly estery and interesting character without getting in the way too much. I want to use these more often in my own brews, been a while for both.

Maybe a malty amber ale is something to try with Verdant.
Too bad I have no American hops in the freezer.
Can someone recommend a nice malty, single (late) hop more malt driven amber?
I had very good results with red-x smash beers. Red-x only between 1.42-1.55 OG results in a fairly red colour, one could also say it is brown-ish. It naturally taste a bit like crystal malt on it's own without getting cloying so it is a really good and complex tasting malt for a single malt beer. I tried it with chinook in a smash, but every c-hop should work. If you are really into malty stuff, noble hops should also work well with a clean yeast. Otherwise, c-hops and verdant should do the trick in regards to american hop flavour. My last chinook one was with lutra.

I really like Wy1469

Amber ale is a pretty hoppy style though, it's not really a yeast driven style.

Maybe you'd prefer an ESB?
That’s a good suggestion, I was looking into that.

I’m starting to think I can split it up between WLP090 and something with esters. Brulosophy did an exbeeriment where they suggested 090 hides the malt less that 001 but still
Accentuated hops. Storing 2 different yeasts isn’t the end of the world, especially if I keep rebuilding them and not buying them.

I just fermented a maibock with a dose of WLP830, and we (my Assistent Braulein and I) are amazed at how much grain we can taste in this batch!

Latest posts

Back