What causes off gassing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkory

Reaction score
I've searched around but this term doesn't seem to be used that often. I mentioned it in my introduction, but thought this would be a good place to link to it for more exposure. The gravity hasn't changed in days, and the beer tastes great, but it's still giving off gas. I'll probably bottle in a day or two and just cut back a little on the priming sugar (I usually do anyway since I'm not a fan of highly carbonated beer) unless y'all suggest otherwise.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f29/hello-texas-michigan-137021/

Thanks!
Mike

Some CO2 is dissolved in the beer, even at room temperature. When the atmospheric pressure decreases, CO2 is released.

Try searching for out-gassing.

Even with a search, the only thing I see mentioned is that it just happens. Can I speed it up?

Normally I would give it more time, but I need to pack up my equipment since I'm moving in a few days. So is there any way to speed up this off gassing? Otherwise I'm just going to have to cut back on priming sugar and hope I don't over carbonate.

I would not sweat it. When you bottle, you can pour this into the bottling bucket and that should help. You can even stir it up a bit (gently) to help it gas off. A little bit of residual carbonation is not going to ruin it.

I would not sweat it. When you bottle, you can pour this into the bottling bucket and that should help. You can even stir it up a bit (gently) to help it gas off. A little bit of residual carbonation is not going to ruin it.

You never said what "this" is. Anyhow, I bottled last night and it tasted fine and didn't have any detectable carbonation.

I didn't actually mean to double post the same thing. Topics in this forum have to be approved by a mod, but not in the general forum? I thought that it just didn't go through the first time I posted it. (in here)

Latest posts

Back