My first experimental beer help please D:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anonatypus

Reaction score
Second Beer,all grain, doing:

4 lbs. white wheat
4 lbs. 2 row

2 oz hallertauer for 1 hour
7 oz of coriander plus 1 orange peel (zested) 15 minutes

I left my first hefeweizen for 2 weeks in primary and then bottled, its been sitting for two weeks and tastes magical:mug: to me at least lol

I have it in a carboy, I think there is about 4 gallons in there with one vial of white labs hefeweizen liquid yeast (which took off like crazy!)

Can I let this one sit for 10 days or less and then bottle? I've heard these hefeweizens are quick to mature and I'm going back for spring break soon and I'd like to give them ample time in the bottle beforehand :ban: :ban: :ban:

:drunk: Here's hoping they don't taste like **** when I'm done :eek:

Right on. I did a concentrated boil and got an OG of 1.092 with the concentrated boil, but then I diluted it by half. So I don't really know what my OG really was, I guess I'll just take an FG and if its low enough bottle. Or take an FG today and then one Saturday.

7 oz of coriander? That is about 6 oz too much.

Anyways, 10 days is a little short but it should be done fermenting by then

On my hefe's so far the krausen completely fell in about 10-11 days, the point where pretty much all the foam is gone and you're looking at the top of the liquid. That to me says, "OK to go ahead and check with a hydrometer". Then I check back 2-3 days later and see if the hydro levels match or are extremely close. Then I bottle the hefe. So I do two weeks in the fermenter than bottle. So you can probably get away with doing it in about 10-11 days if the krausen is all gone, but of course the only way to be sure is the hydro reading.

Other beer types, like my amber ale, I let sit three weeks before checking on them.

Rev.

Yea, when I do a Heff I give it 2 weeks in the primary and directly bottle from there. If the krausen is gone it should be ready to bottle directly, take a reading to make sure it's about where you think it should be.

Thats strange, whenever I do a Hefe I lose the Krausen after 2-3 days, and fermentation seems to be done in about 5-6. However, I am doing probably 3-4 gallon fermentations and I pitch the yeast directly from the tube, (white labs liquid hefe yeast). I do get a ton of yeast at the bottom of the carboy, so I don't think that my beer will be lacking in alcohol content. However I do wish that I could take an FG reading, but I seem to have misplaced my hydrometer, or my roommate threw it out.

When you say krausen you are referring to the foamy head on the beer? I've done two hefe's and I lose them after 2-3 days, although the activity keeps for quite some time. Is that unusual? I pitch the yeast directly, no rehydration, and if its liquid yeast I pitch right out of the fridge, I don't heat them up. But the amount of yeast I get on the bottom, its about an inch so i think its alright..??

Back