First Sour - Summer Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddDogg84

Reaction score
Today I'm starting my summer project, which will be the first Belgian recipes and first sours I've made.

Pulled dregs from two Trappist ales (one w Brett). Over the course of the summer, harvesting along the way, I'm going to throw 4 (2- gallon) split batches at each yeast: Belgian Pale, Dubbel, Tripel, and Quad. Hoping to have 8 yummy beers (1 gallon each) and a Brett culture to keep active from now on.

Dregs came from Rochefort 6 and Orval ales.

11108676_10106594122642244_7199918323533117746_n.jpg

11143318_10106594122722084_1797610480499665630_n.jpg

Brett adds interest to the brews, but really does not sour. But you have some nice starters there.

Orval dreggs work great and make a very nice brew. I use them often.

generally, people will recommend you use light LME for starters. You want whatever is easiest for your yeast to grow. The dark extracts have a bunch of unfermentable sugars. Just a thought for the future

Oh I poured off the beer from the yeast starter, as I've done many times in my pale ales. The amount of beer used to pull the yeast out was negligible

Great project, all I can suggest is to document your fermenting temperatures.
The yeast you are using will definitely add its own character and that is dependent upon your temperature. I'm skeptical you are going to get much sour character, but I've never tried what you are doing so I'm interested to find out what happens.
Good Luck & Cheers!

Great project, all I can suggest is to document your fermenting temperatures.
The yeast you are using will definitely add its own character and that is dependent upon your temperature. I'm skeptical you are going to get much sour character, but I've never tried what you are doing so I'm interested to find out what happens.
Good Luck & Cheers!

Really appreciate the kind words. I'm catching some flack on the "sour" thing for sure. Seems that a true sour includes pedio and lacto too. Oh well I think I like the Brett best anyway. This was confirmed when we got Victorys Sour Monkey (Golden Monkey w Brett) and I liked it better than some of that Jester King stuff. Perhaps I'm more of a monk at heart ☺🍻

Oh as for fermentation temp, I'm shooting for 70° but use a low tech swamp cooler to keep out the Texas heat. I swap out ice packs twice a day so the temp is always going up or down. I know it's faulty but I make some killer brews in the cooler

Back