cold crashing too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I fermented an ale then set my freezer to just above freezing a few days ago. Based on my schedule I won't be able to rack it to keg for a while. Is it a problem to store beer at near-freezing for an extended period? Does the beer age at all at that temperature?

It's definitely not a problem assuming we're not talking several months. Even then I wouldn't be too worried about it. Your beer will probably end up very clear and maybe a little more lager like.

What does one suppose is happening to a keg sitting in a keezer for a month or more as it's being consumed? :)

Extended cold is rarely a bad thing for finished beer...

Cheers!

Weeks I wouldn't even think about, much less worry. I would rack it to keg and get it off the cake if it was going to be more than 30 days.

Weeks I wouldn't even think about, much less worry. I would rack it to keg and get it off the cake if it was going to be more than 30 days.

Why? Ive left an ale at room temperature in the primary for more than 60 days and it was very good. Why would anyone need to get it off the yeast cake sooner if it was cold?

What does one suppose is happening to a keg sitting in a keezer for a month or more as it's being consumed? :)

Extended cold is rarely a bad thing for finished beer...

Cheers!

My thoughts exactly. Just going to end up with a clear-er beer.

I can only tap 1 keg at a time but I can store untapped kegs at any temperature. Would there be a big benefit to storing untapped kegs near freezing vs. The 10-15 C or so I like to serve?

Also, beer is full of sugar and alcohol so can you chill it below freezing?

The colder you store it, the slower that any aging reactions related to staling will proceed. Cold storage is better than warm storage, assuming you are not trying to age (cellar) a big beer.

Yes the alcohol & sugar in beer will lower the freezing point. The actual freezing point will depend on just how much alcohol and sugar is present. There is a table here. Numbers look reasonable, although I cannot vouch for the accuracy.

Brew on :mug:

Back