yeast harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe028

Reaction score
so i've seen the website from WYeast about how to clean and harvest the yeast for future batches, but I still don't know if i'm doing this right. What I have done so far is boil water and cool to refrigerator temp and then add leftovers from the primary fermenter after i have racked to the secondary. The solution then sets in a mason jar and separates. It separates and looks like water on the top and then just cloudy mess underneath. I only poured off the top "water" looking portion to the next bottle to save as yeast, but I think I may have been missing out on all the yeast. Am I? I think I may just be letting the water sit on the top and then pouring water in to the next jar, am I?

Another technique I tried was to just scoop the junk from the bottom of the primary into a sanitary jar. I'll try to make a starter out of that and see what happens. Is it bad that I didn't "clean" the yeast before making a new starter and re-pitching?

Thanks again for the help.

Joe

I mix some water with the leftover from the primary and swirl it around real good. I then pour that mix into a 3 quart glass pitcher, cap it and put it in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. The heavy stuff drops to the bottom fairly fast and I pour off the cloudy solution on the top. The yeast should look tan and most of the time there may be a layer of it on top of the trub you want to leave behind. You can do this 1-2 times to further clean up the yeast but I usually only do it twice total.

Back