Gelalin clarifier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dissolve it in water. I believe you use 1 cup of warm (but not hot) water and dissolve it, then dump it in. or do you have to boil it???

I can't remember. I only used it one time, thought it was a waste of time, and I had to scrub the crap out of my carboy to get the little gummies off of it.

-walker

Ah.. I found my notes about using gelatin:

Add the gelatin (1 pkg Knox / 1 tsp) to room temperature water (1 to 2 cups) and allow it to soak for about an hour. Then heat the mixture until you begin to just see wisps of steam coming off the top (about 170F) and stir to ensure it is dissolved. Cool and add it to the secondary a few days before bottling.

Bjorn Borg said:
why use one at all?
I agree.

When I first started brewing, I didn't care about clarity. After many years, I got better at controlling the clarity through good techniques. Then I decided that I was taking a lot more care making my beer clearer, but I was not improving the taste at all, so I backed off on my regiment to relax the whole brewing process. Later, I tried my good practices again and used Gelatin (this was shortly after joining this forum). Again, I decided that the extra steps weren't worth it and now I just brew my beer. I don't even use irish moss in every batch (what's the point with a stout or porter?)

So, what I'm saying is that I can understand the desire to see a sparkling clear brew come out of your own home brewery, and if that's what you want then you should shoot for it. Only once have I made a beer that was 100% clear, even free of chill-haze. It was a great feeling of satisfaction and I was rather proud of myself. I whish I had put some of that in clearbottles to show it off more. However, I (and most others) have decided that it is clarity is not that important to us in the end.

As for better clarifiers, I hear people rave about polyclar, but I've never used it. It's tiny staticaly charged shavings of plastic that attract proteins and pull them into your fermenter's sediment.

-walker

Cool, thanks to all for your input. Sounds like I really don't have to worry about it. Since I already have it, I'll probably use it for this batch, but I probably won't get it again... thanks!

omniscientomar said:
Cool, thanks to all for your input. Sounds like I really don't have to worry about it. Since I already have it, I'll probably use it for this batch, but I probably won't get it again... thanks!

You might find that you don't mind the extra step. I can't do anything brewing-related until late at night (b/c I have young kids and need to put them to bed before I go off and do my own thing), so it was just one more night that had me in the kitchen sanitizing things and opening fermenters at 11pm.

BTW: if you do decide to stick with the use of gelatin, don't buy it from a brew shop. Just get unflavored Knox brand gelatin from the grocery. Same thing at fraction of the cost. Use one little packet for fining a batch.

-walker

omniscientomar said:
Can you suggest a better clarifier?

I think that Isinglass is the preferred fining for ales. As for the importance of "bright" beer, I don't worry too much about it. But I do have to admit that when you pour one of your beers that turned out very clear, it is a very proud moment . . . especially when other non-brewers are around to notice and remark about it.

I use Irish Moss most of the time (unless I forget :drunk: ). I used to use Isinglass in my meads (don't make much of that anymore). I have never used a fining in a beer, but Terry Foster recommends using Isinglass - works in 24 hours according to his book Pale Ales.

I purchased a pack of 10 Whirlflock tabs from morebeer.com for a buck or so. I just throw one in with 15 mintues left. Ive used them on every batch so Im not sure what diference they do or do not make.

i just recently got some whirlfloc tabs, but have yet to use them. i always use irish moss, no matter what (porter, stout, pale etc...) It is true that every now and then i get a crystal clear beer, and it is amazing! But for the most part my beers dont have chill haze, and are clear enough, so im not too worried about aesthetics...

i would think that isinglass is the best you can use, its probably a matter of preference: would you rather use fish-guts (isinglass), horse feet (gelatin), plastic (polyclar), or sea weed (irish moss)?

Bjorn Borg said:
why use one at all?

btw where in the bay area are ya? do you go to sf brewcraft for stuff?

I'm in Union City, I go to this small place in Hayward called B.R.E.W. They're prett cool people there...

Back