Analog Thermometer in thermowell vs digital food thermometer in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
Arg!

I've had this issue where at ambient both thermometers register about the same temp, but at mashing temps we are sometimes 20 degrees off. The analog thermometer in the kettle wall always hits strike temp faster, and the digital hits temp maybe a few min later with the analog thermometer rising about 20+ degree higher (152
F digital 175 analog)

What can I do, what should I trust??

Stir it up. Different levels of mash may differ in temperature. "Known Good" is the best way to measure, so calibration is important. Many temp devices differ on time to report.

Make sure you're reading with accurate equipment.

Good brewing.

You can check calibration with boiling water or like I prefer to do with ice water. Take any coffee cup, fill with ice, fill with cold water (fridge), and put your thermometer in the ice water. Stir to allow the temp to stabilize and you should get 32 degrees F. Digital thermometers are very accurate and quick to react to temperature swings. Analogs react slower. If you get a decent digital, you can't beat it.

Latest posts

Back