Thermometer suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeirKaiser

Reaction score
Hello everyone! As always thank you for your help.

I just got my first all grain dopplebock in the fermentor a few days ago with great success. It was a good thing I had other thermometers as backups. The one I bought, recommended by a brew supply store turned out to be junk. I thought it was due to insufficient contact because I didn’t use thermopaste in my thermowell.

CDN - DTTC-W - 14 - 392 F Digital Probe Thermometer
CC62F079-2440-463A-B3E2-56108ECDB275.jpeg

-not an instant read (took a while for step mashing and in general)
-several degrees off from calibrated thermometers (compared to 3 I owned)
-temp alarm only goes off when reaching rising temp but no cooling temp alarm
-is now stuck on 147 or 203 degrees at all times now

What are other people using? Some of the Bluetooth phone ones seems really cool. I installed a thermowell so I could use a decent prob. Any suggestions? I’m curious what cool things you guys have going.

I use a Thermapen, but I also have a CDN Thermometer like this that works just as well and it's a lot cheaper.View attachment 718071
Hello everyone! As always thank you for your help.

I just got my first all grain dopplebock in the fermentor a few days ago with great success. It was a good thing I had other thermometers as backups. The one I bought, recommended by a brew supply store turned out to be junk. I thought it was due to insufficient contact because I didn’t use thermopaste in my thermowell.

CDN - DTTC-W - 14 - 392 F Digital Probe Thermometer
View attachment 718045
-not an instant read (took a while for step mashing and in general)
-several degrees off from calibrated thermometers (compared to 3 I owned)
-temp alarm only goes off when reaching rising temp but no cooling temp alarm
-is now stuck on 147 or 203 degrees at all times now

What are other people using? Some of the Bluetooth phone ones seems really cool. I installed a thermowell so I could use a decent prob. Any suggestions? I’m curious what cool things you guys have going.
I use this thermapro for my mash temps and my fermentation temps come from my inkbird temp controller hope this helps

Cheers

Attachments

• 20210210_163953.jpg
    20210210_163953.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210210_163612.jpg
    20210210_163612.jpg
    808.1 KB · Views: 27
I use this thermapro for my mash temps and my fermentation temps come from my inkbird temp controller hope this helps

Cheers

Thank you. I like inkbird, what model do you use?

I’m worried that the spear shaped thermometers won’t stay in the thermowell but I use them all the time at the restaurant. Need it for decoctions.

I find it most useful to have a small handheld thermometer. For example, when I am monitoring my water or wort temperatures (like when cooling with my immersion chiller), I will stir the pot and then place the thermometer right into the center to get a true representative reading. The thermometer built into my boil kettle is virtually worthless because it only tells me the stratified temperature right where the probe is (often right by the cold immersion chiller coil).

I have owned 2-3 Thermapens but all of them eventually broke. When I take them apart, there is a tiny wire that wraps around the pivot end that eventually breaks. I now own 2 Inkbird Thermometers that are much cheaper ($22 on amazon) and seems to be built better. I have one that has lasted 1 year and just bought another one for my wife to use in the kitchen, Highly recommended.

https://www.ink-bird.com/products-instant-read-thermometer-iht1p.html

I use the 308 model, I just tape the probe to the side of my stainless steel fermenter and make sure its insulated from the air and it matches my tilt readings of the beer within .1 or .2 degrees. Dont no if the probe will stay in a thermal well.

Cheers

Back