Brewed a kit of Hank's from MW. Didn't smell like beer...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm747

Reaction score
After 8 days my Hank's Hefeweizen was put in the secondary last night to make way for a kit of BB American Pale Ale. The first batch which was BB India Pale Ale smelled like beer when it went to the secondary. The Hank's didn't. This might sound gross but it kinda smelled like hotdogs. ??? I added some blueberry extract to it, but I'm hoping it wasn't infected...

So my question, will beer ALWAYS smell like beer? :)

Thanks!

Tim

i don't think your infected. if anything you may of racked to soon. if the SG isn't stable leave it alone. other than that it's probably just green. let it finish what its doing and bottle it and let it sit. i'll bet it will be very good when its done.

It hadn't bubbled for 3 days so I thought it'd be done. I'll let it sit for 3 weeks before going to the keg.

Thanks!

Tim

I tried some hefe from a local microbrew, and while usually their hefe tasted delicious, once it tasted like hot dogs. Might be from being too green, or maybe the yeast that is used for hefe can give that particular off flavour easily... I'm not sure.

Back