Keezer foam problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKennett

Reaction score
Been playing for a long time now with this keg. It was good when I first got it but not so much now. It's a local microbrewery IPA in a keezer with a tower. I have a tower cooling fan setup. Here are the specs:

Temp: 37.5 degrees F on second glass
PSI: 14 at sea level
line: 8 ft. of micromatic 3/16
faucet: Perlick 525ss

I took the coupler apart yesterday and cleaned the lines with beer line cleaner, and then Star San. I hooked it all back up later that night and I got 2 consecutive glasses of 3/4 foam 1/4 beer. I just don't know what's up with this keg anymore. Is it possible it's overcarbed?

Honestly, I had Sierra Nevada at 14 psi and that temp and got good results. This beer has similar carbonation characteristics. It's Keegan Ales Hurricane Kitty.

That isn't bad carbonation... from my chart at home, it's about the average for most style beers. I have 6ft of 3/16 at about 12-15 psi. You might want to try lowering the psi though and see if that is what is causing the beer to come out too fast. Also (Stupid question I know) are you pouring down the side of the glass or just holding the cup vertical? Also is there liquid coming out of the spout or is it brown foam? I ask because I did have a problem where I was getting liquid out but it coming out so fast that it hit the side of a glass and then turned to foam. If that is the case, the liquid is coming out too fast and you should reduce the PSI on the keg. If you are pouring straight up, I get a ton of foam and a huge head on matter what I do if I pour like that so try angling the glass when dispensing.

Back