Hydrocarbons: Noble hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
So I'm reading Brew Chem 101 by Lee Janson. (I never took chem in highschool or college) Has anyone read this book? I've found some interesting things in it. Pg. 23 makes me wonder why so many people dry hop with high alpha hops instead of larger quantities of Nobles. This book is pretty dry, which I like. Anyone ever get anything out of it?:mug:

It says that Hydrocarbons include Humulene, which gives hops their elegant refined taste and aroma. These hyrdos are found in the Nobles. ... The flavors and aromas of these hydrocarbons are most likely only present when dry hopping. That's the meat and potatoes of the paragraph. Pg. 22-23.

It says that Hydrocarbons include Humulene, which gives hops their elegant refined taste and aroma. These hyrdos are found in the Nobles. ... The flavors and aromas of these hydrocarbons are most likely only present when dry hopping. That's the meat and potatoes of the paragraph. Pg. 22-23.

the hydrocarbons are the volatile aromatic oils that are boiled off when using hops for bittering. When dryhopping the oils are retained giving flavor and aroma. perhaps I dont understand what you are asking.

Back