1 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraperyFalls

Reaction score
So I've just converted a cooler to a mash tun and plan to do my first all grain batch this weekend. I had planned on doing a 1 gallon batch of a Celebration Ale clone and just wanted to get some feedback from more experience brewers. Is there anything special I should know/expect with a 1 gallon batch? Obviously I scaled all the ingredients down, but should I only use a fifth of a packet of yeast as well?

It also occurred to me that I'm making a 1 gallon batch in a 10 gallon mash tun. Because of the low volume of liquid, I imagine getting all this out of my mash tun will be difficult. Should I instead brew enough for a 2 gallon batch and keep only 1 gallon?

Or am I overcomplicating this altogether?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I think a 1-gallon batch would be rather difficult. Even after a year or so of all-grain, my volumes fluctuate a bit, and a 5-gallon batch might end up anywhere from 4.5 to 5.5. There are a lot of volume losses which are fairly constant (mash/lauter tun deadspace, transfer loss, etc etc). You'd have to be pretty sure of those variables before getting started or you might only end up with a half-gallon batch. Since your volume is somewhat unpredictable, your OG and efficiency will also be hard to nail down, which, I assume, is one reason you want to start with a small batch in the first place.

If you have to ability (large enough boil pot, strong enough stove/burner/etc) to go a little larger, I think you'll find it easier and more consistent. Plus, you end up with more beer. My suggestion is to start with a 2.5-gallon batch, if possible.

In terms of pitching rate if you stick with the one-gallon batch size, I'd probably use the whole package of yeast. It might be technically overpitching but it's no worse than pitching on top of a yeast cake. I'd be afraid to keep the rest of the yeast packet for fear of contamination if I only used part of it, and throwing it away seems wasteful. You could always check the Mr Malty calculator (http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html).

I'm planning to do some approx 1 gallon batches soon myself so I can test out recipes/procedures and hopefully use less time/energy than it would take for a full batch. I got a 3 gallon pot (I've tried 1 gallon in a 7 gallon pot before, it sucks) so I should be able to do this on the stove, and I've got some 2 gallon fermenter pails, and I've got a selection of small coolers so I can mash in a bag. I would recommend mashing in a mesh bag in a small cooler so you don't have to mess with maintaining temperature for an hour give or take. I picked up some discounted small coolers at a local large store because they want to get rid of inventory for fall/winter. The cooler should probably hold your temperature well enough for a test batch, but if you want to hold it steady, put some insulation in a plastic bag and stuff it into the empty air space above your mash. If the lid or top of the insulation feels warm, you are losing heat.

As far as yeast goes, I would still follow this: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
I may end up using parts of yeast slurries I've saved because it would be cheap and won't die off like leaving behind a partial packet of dry yeast. I'm considering looking for small (5g?) cheap packets of yeast so I can pitch enough (including compensating for yeast death if I don't rehydrate) without worrying about waste.

Thank you both for your help! I will probably take your advice and at least double the batch size. Also, the idea of mashing in a bag is brilliant! I'll definitely do that, especially considering I'm making such a small batch. Thanks again!

I thought this was a joke at first. You are clearly trying to learn, but have a little more confidence in yourself. Yea my first beer wasnt that good but it was drinkable, a drinkable 5 gallons. Maybe I drink way more beer than you but the truth is it is A LOT of work to brew beer. Granted its well worth it but the lesser volume does not mean less work or difficulty. That is why I stepped up to 10 gal after only 5 batches under my belt, might as well make more if you going to do the same amount of work.

Back