Tap Water o.k.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewone1

Reaction score
I have a beginner question: With such an emphasis on santizing to protect the wort, why is it o.k. to mix the wort with cold tap water to makeup your five gallons? I don't read anywhere that the added water should be boiled or anything. Just that if your tap water taste like chlorine you should filter it.

Am I reading this correctly? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Personally I have used cold tap water to top up with several extract batches. I'm all grain now so I don't do it any more. But I never had any sort of bacteria problem.

I always just used tapwater with no infections. Knowing what I know now I should have at least filtered it to get the chlorine out.

You're most likely not going to have a problem topping up with tap water. But there certainly is a small chance that you might.

I do full boils now, so I don't top up, but when I did I used bottled spring water.

ok thanks everyone. It sounds like there's a decent chance of it turning out fine. I won't worry about it then. Just hope for the best.

Back