Starter foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpie

Reaction score
I'm in the process of making a 2 step starter for a Belgian Tripel and I'm on the 2nd part. Unlike the first round, this is massively foaming. It's a 1L starter in a 2L Erlenmeyer and the foam is up to the 1800ml part. How do I deal with the foaming?

I'm in the process of making a 2 step starter for a Belgian Tripel and I'm on the 2nd part. Unlike the first round, this is massively foaming. It's a 1L starter in a 2L Erlenmeyer and the foam is up to the 1800ml part. How do I deal with the foaming?

A drop or two of fermcap-s or put the flask in something that will catch the overflow if it does go over the top.

My last one was Wyeast 2112 California Lager. I started from 10ml frozen and did two 250ml steps then a 1.5 liter step. There was almost no krausen on the small steps and the last one filled up to the foam stopper.

It finished and went off in my beer before morning.

put a paper towel over your stir plate and just let it gush out. Or....use Pacman yeast. I get almost no krausen with pacman.

I'll keep the fermcap in mind for later but I don't have any of that now. I keep using a long sterilized spoon to stir/knockdown the foam and it's doing ok but not great and I'm barely keeping up with it. I know people use a spray bottle to deal with boil-overs but I don't have any sterilized water at the moment. Any immediate things I can do?

Put it in a baking dish and let the foam overflow. You won't lose much and you'll contain the mess.

Back