odd smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbrohog

Reaction score
Hey all. I've brewed a few batches with my older brother, and I recently purchased my own kit and have begun brewing myself. I brewed a American Light Lager 2 days ago, and I thought everything went well. It is now fermenting in my basement. When I brewed with my brother, the CO2 released out of the airlock smelled like good beer. Mine smells kinda funky. Not like rotten eggs, but it does have a hint of sulfur. My brother puts water in his airlocks, and I put vodka. I was wondering if the vodka could affect the smell of the co2 being released. I don't think it is the sulfury odor produced by yeast autolysis because it has only been fermenting for 2 days. I also suspected DMS, but the odor is not that of cooked vegatables. I have read that hydrogen sulfide is produced during fermentation, but is it common to smell it coming out of the airlock during the first few days?

SWMBO say she can smell sulfur in my beers at the first sign of fermentation so I would say it's prally fine just remember 1 week primary 2 weeks second and 3 in storage you'll be fine.:tank:

Sulphur odors are common. I'm making some blackberry wine & it was bad enough I had to open the kitchen window.

Vodka or water in the air lock should not be a factor. If I have cheap vodka around (which I often do 'cause my bride likes those awful fruity martinis), I use that. But water is fine.

let it gas out for a couple weeks... sit in bottles for another month and you should be ready to rock. Funky smells early on are a good sign that the special magic mojo is workin, LOL....

Back