Summer IPA/Lemon Ale experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Ended up having a day to do some brewing and was feeling the spring vibe coming. Was a warmer day in the Northeast and pretty nice out, flowers starting to peak through the front yard soil, yada yada.

Anyway, that put me in the mood to have a bit lighter summer beer. I kinda crapped this idea out with the ingredients I had in the stores plus some stuff in the fruit basket.

Super Citrus IPA

4.5 Gallon Batch. (want the headroom and my 6.5 gallon carboy is currently occupied =O

10lbs Pearl Pale Malt
2 lbs Maris Otter
.5 lb crystal 20
1 oz Belma 12.1% - 30 mins
1 oz Belma 12.1% - 15 mins
1 oz Simcoe - 5 Mins
3 Pureed Lemon rinds 5 mins
1 pureed Lime Rind Flameout
1 oz Mosiac - Flameout

I wanted to mess around with doing a shorter non traditional boil and really wanted to mess around with adding some lemon rind and stuff near the end.
Shooting for a 150 degree mash in, Batch sparge.

Any comments/suggestions about hopping schedule with short boil/fruit rind additions?

lemme know.
thanks

P.S. Pitching with some Conan yeast I harvested from a heady topper for even more fruit goodness.

Good luck with that.

I'm working up a brew for midweek with 4 or 5 lbs. 2 Row Rahr, 8 oz.? Honey Malt, about your same lemon schedule, maybe more, and a couple of pounds of ginger. Maybe 2# honey at some addition. I haven't gotten it worked out yet. I'm thinking Simcoe right now.

Be careful w the ginger. Ginger goes a LONNNNG way =)
It's mashing atm, just hoping to hear any good/bad before it goes to boil lol

Well. It's done now. Hopefully it turns out ok and I didn't do anything too terrible. =P

I never used ginger in a brew before but I've made ginger beer for years, love it strong. It really is powerful stuff for sure. I'm thinking I may cut back 1/2 #.

I'm looking forward to hearing how your batch is. I'll bet it will be good. My biggest question is to how much of a lemon impression there will be. Only one way to find out.

Back