high temp fermentation - by accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
Here's the situation - I pitched on Monday, with the temp set at 68. The next day all was happy and a nice krausen forming. Wednesday evening I go down to the basement to check on things and my temp probe had fallen from the side of the carboy, resulting in the ranco thinking the temp was at 64, so the heater kept ramping up. The fermentation was volcanic, so it did not get hot enough to kill anything. I immediately removed the heater and cooled it down. This morning - thursday - we are at 68 and still fermenting. What should I expect as a result? Yeast is 1056.

There wont be too much result for that. Maybe some funky ethers but 1056 is pretty clean even in high temps.

You should expect to wait and see. ;)

I've had clean results from 1056 even at 70F. You should be fine unless you severely under-pitched.

Also, once the yeast starts metabolizing sugar few esters are created. It sounds like you were at this point when the temp got high anyway.

Wait.

I defintely did not under pitch - I used a starter. However, I know that it was WAY over 70, probably ovder 80, but not for very long, I hope..... We'll see in a week or so.

Now, I've never fermented over 80, but I've had batches with 1056/US-05 get into the 70s with no real problem at all. It's a great, clean yeast.

I think you will be OK. I just did a Dunkelweizen batch that I left to ferment at room temperatures. The temps went up to mid 80's and the beer is still ok.

My Blonde Ale fermented in primary at 76 - 79 before I figured out how to cool the next batches down, and it still tasted great after 3 weeks in primary. You should be OK if you let it condition a bit longer than usual, if the taste is a bit off that is.

Latest posts

Back