types of malt used for extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bperlmu

Reaction score
hey all
i was just wondering how you could figure out what types of malt is used to make a certain extract...and would knowing this matter when it comes to formulating recipes?
just something ive been pondering
thanks

.....what are people brewing for the upcoming holidays? i got an oatmeal stout and dubbel take 2 comin' up

I do believe different malts are used to make different types of extract, and some brands will list their basic 'mix'...others won't.

its almost easier to use steeping grains for color and a little flavor, and stick to fairly light extract. extract brews tend to be darker than 'true style' since the extract naturally darkens compared to extracting sugar from pure grain.

it really depends how complicated you want to make your recipes. you can have an extract recipe more complex than an all grain brew.

Yeah, usually people recommend using using light extract and adding your own so you know what and how much is in there.

I know that Briess has info on their website that tells you what is in their extracts (but not how much). For example, the extra light is 100% pilsner malt and the golden light is Briess base malt (probably domestic 2-row) and carapils. So if I were doing an extract batch I would choose one of those two and add steeping grains as needed. Hope this helps.

Back