Malt extract in a hydromel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MASKAmead

Reaction score
I am considering trying to make a hydromel/beer hybrid (don't know what to call it) and I have no interest in dealing with actual grains to do so. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this type of brew who could give me an idea of what sort of ratio of honey to malt extract might be best, what type of malt extract might best compliment the honey, any best practices people have found out trying this type of thing, and if it is worth trying in the first place.

I am considering trying to make a hydromel/beer hybrid (don't know what to call it) and I have no interest in dealing with actual grains to do so. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this type of brew who could give me an idea of what sort of ratio of honey to malt extract might be best, what type of malt extract might best compliment the honey, any best practices people have found out trying this type of thing, and if it is worth trying in the first place.
I bought myself some amber dme. I will dissolve it in apple juice and add the missing gravity to max out the yeast via honey. The ratio will be about 1/1/1. Haven't done this before but I'm sure that it will be fine at the end. In going to use a mead yeast to our well be a bit difficult to predict how much of the malt derived sugars will actually be consumed by the yeast and how much will be left behind. Mead and wine yeast usually cannot metabolize the longer sugars. So it might be up to 50% of the malt derived sugars that the yeast will leave behind. Makes me wonder if I need to backsweeten or not. Maybe I'll just let it go to about 12%abv and then bottle? Don't know yet.

hydromel/beer hybrid (don't know what to call it)
Looks like a braggot to me. You might research some braggot recipes to see if you can find something that matches your taste. I prefer dme to lme if you're looking to do something light in color. Briess has a pretty good variety of extracts of varying types. Definitely worth trying. Good luck!

I made Charlie Papazian's recommended Rocky Raccoons Crystal Honey Lager several years ago and it was great. Here's the recipe and directions.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/rocky-raccoons-honey-lager/

Back