What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it was actually yesterday but I brewed a batch while watching my 7 month old son! It was an absolute challenge, but it worked. Opened my eyes that it was actually possible to do. Maybe another batch soon???

Picked up some spring water to hopefully get my whiskely stout going tomorrow. Gotta take son back & forth to both jobs tomorrow though?

The day is young, but so far I took a 1028 starter out of the fridge where it was crashing so it will warm up for pitching into a BCS Brown Porter tonight, and I ramped down the cold crash on an American Blonde that's done fermenting.

Added some more PBW to the ice cream pail my nylon grain bag's soaking in. It got nasty and needs a little more time. Gotta clean the grain bucket too, so I can get the whiskely stout mash going.

Yesterday I poured a taster of my captured wild yeast that I grew out and made with just a straight starter, slight sour but not bad considering how green it is. Going to do a 3 gal experiment this weekend and go with some sour cherries then age out.. tasting promising so far

20150512_192324.jpg

I was crushing grains for my whiskely stout just now & the English chocolate malt smells way better! Smells of semi-sweet chocolate with a touch of coffee. Me us'em this one from now on. Also using Black Prinze in place of black patent malt. Combined with 4lbs, 5.2ozs 2-row, it smells darn good so far! Gonna start mashing first thing in the morning, gotta run boys to second job in a bit...too busy today cleanin' & runnin'...

Gelled a BCS Blonde that has been cold crashing for a day. Pitched a starter to a Brown Porter.

Strange thing about the starter. It's the second one I made for this batch. The first one followed the same exact process. Prepped a 1028 Smack Pack, pitched it to 1500ml of 1.036 wort. Put on the spin plate for 24 hours. It was DOA. Dark color and the only aroma was malt - and never a hint of krausen. Never had that happen before.

Dumped it and went for the do-over. After 24 hours on the spin plate, there was a little foaming, a nice tan color throughout, nice yeasty aroma. Second time's a charm I guess.

For the first time ever, I made a starter out of pressure canned starter wort. My goodness, was that easy.

Got an OG of 1.052 against BS2's estimate of 1.049. Not bad. Pitched rehydrated S-04 on it. Now the wait to see how long it takes to start visibly fermenting.

Today I designed and printed out the labels for my latest batch.

Took them into the basement to seal them and realized I am out of sealant. Guess that will wait till the weekend.

Took a gravity reading from a saison which has just settled down after 3 weeks in primary. First wyeast 3711 experience, love that yeast.

Helped my self to a sampler, gravity measured at 1.004 from 1.069, nice and dry, tasted great. Can't wait to bottle it up and try it carbed up!

Ordered 2 new ball locks and cleaned the 3 kegs I had sitting around. Gonna fill them tomorrow with a Belgian red, American brown, and Biermuncher's centennial blonde, respectively.

Used my new Barley Crusher today and had a 5% efficiency increase with the factory gap settings. Then I brewed an Amber.

brewday-amber-65581.jpg

Gettin some PBW mixed up. Forgot I had to clean my hydrometer/tube to take the sample of the Irish red. Besides other (ugh) cleaning.

I melted together both lines on my wort chiller.

I was so ANGRY!

Now I have very short lines on my wort chiller.

I am now relaxing with an orange wheat home brew. Ahhhh.

for the last day of American Homebrew Craft Beer Week I brewed a Wild Yeast Experiment, drank some Anglish Sippah and Juniskeet Wheat.

Ordered a porter mash kit

Cleaned the keg after my son's first birthday party yesterday
Had an APA on tap and by all accounts it went down very well.
Carbonation wasn't perfect due to Co2 running out during the week, but we persevered:)

Cleaned up the brew spot, and got things ready for my next brew day. Disassembled, and cleaned off, my monster mill. Swept the floor, and consolidated some equipment.

Back