What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other- I'm pulling down the recipes I've crafted (scaled) for my PicoBrew and wanted to give them their own (designated) recipes subfolder. I'm on a Mac and I can drag and drop the .xml recipes into Beersmith and they open, but they don't seem to easily save to a sub folder. I've also looked for the folder I've created in the beersmith file database, no dice.

I know how the beer got infected. I rushed 3 batches and thought I had cleaned all my gear but neglected to disassemble my CO2 breakout block before force carving. It was pretty gross after sitting unused for 5 years. All three tasted a little funny going into bottles but I figured they were a little green. After 2 weeks they were worse. It took me another 2 weeks to track it back to the block after going through all of my other gear again. One of the three batches only got short spurts of pressure rather than staying constantly connected for days- seems it made s difference.

Upside: They all cleared up real nice after being in the bottle that long!

Doubt if I can be helpful, no mac. Brewing my clone of a local brew pub favorite. Been 2 months since last brew. Love that smell! Drinking HB while doing HB.

View attachment 1432851563746.jpg

I topped off the airlocks on four carboys of sour beer. Then proceeded to ogle at the pellicles for a few minutes. However, the most recent batch is still pellicle-less. All in due time, I guess.

Investigated and utilized new water profile. This has new brew has less chloride (55) and sulfate (207) then my other IPAs. Interested in outcome. Also, against my intuition, oxygenated the wort by transferring between fermenters for, hopefully, better yeast productivity without hop oil disintegration. Can't wait for results...but shaking at the knees.

Well, after another Fg sample of the Irish red, it's cleared a little bit, bit still suspended stuff in it. It's apparently finishing kind of slow, it went from 1.012 to 1.010 in about a week. I wish this batch of S-04 had a little more giddy up to it.:confused:

Went and picked up a sack of pale ale malt, maris otter and pilsner malt from a group grain buy. Also finally got a water sample sent off to Ward Labs to see what I'm working with. I can't wait to start tweaking my water and hopefully improving my beers!:rockin: Now if we could possibly have a dry day on my days off so I can brew. It's killing me.

Flashed my Picobrew to the newest Firmware.

Built and setup (if you can call it that) a recipe for a SMaSH Maris Otter/Mosaic Pale Ale - should come in around 1.05 OG and 33 IBU before I dry hop it. I'll be kicking it off first thing in the AM.

Also go around to putting away the 75+ empty clean bottles I have into 6-pack holders.

Today I assembled my new propane burner and started cutting out the shape of my mash paddle.

Made a WLP007 starter this am for my summer pale ale I'm brewing tomorrow. Looking forward to my first brew day in quite a while!!

Pressure canned 5 pints of sterile wort for starters (seriously - I should have started doing that long, long ago. It makes starters so easy.) then I re-inoculated some slants of 1028. I had been using the 1028 slants so much that they were almost picked clean, so now I should have some fresh stuff. Then I went and got some odds and ends at the LHBS and re-pitched the mild that seems to be stuck. How the heck does a 1.037 beer with a proper pitch of yeast, 1 min of O2 and a dash of nutrient get stuck!?! Ugh.

Dat's a gude von! Temp fluctuations? Or maybe when the added o2 got used up during the reproductive phase, they slowly stalled?

Built a new top manifold for my rims system. Ran sanitizer thru it at 180 for a bit.
Ran autotune at 157 and it creeped out of control to 180.... I dont get this thing!! Bastard MYPIN!

Today I was able to:
Make my mash paddle
Set up and boil my brew pot to oxidize it
Put labels on my latest batch.

Had an friend come over and brewed him a IPA , I don't care for Ipa but he likes it he also loved my blonde beer. I also broke a carboy cause I was drinking!:eek:

Hadn't brewed in almost 2 years. Finally built up my kettles, added false bottom to my cooler and brewed a virus wheat yesterday. First time using my chugger pump too. The new setup was so nice. Gonna brew next weekend too

Bottled 5gal of Jamils Black Widow porter. Put 5 gal of mosaic/chinook ipa in to cold crash. And moved a merlot and a Pinot Grigio to secondary. Tired now. [emoji3]

Put my thinking cap on and developed my first attempt at an Altbier recipe. I think it will be maltier and lower on ibu's than the classic style.

Checked my rigged up fermenter and status of the new fan I plugged in two days ago. Still holding at 64.0 strong, 7 days into the ferment of my Vic Bitter. Fan is working great...dreaming of going big, 5 gals at a time.

Sooo, after a flawless brew day on Sunday, I left for work in the morning and all was peachy. Nice krausen and temp controller doing its thing.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433299869.130195.jpg

Used WLP007, and have had pretty explosive fermentations with it before, so decided to switch to a blow off tube before leaving for work, so I wouldn't risk a nasty mess in my brand new fridge.

... Came home from work, and noticed an odd puddle at the edge of the garage leading up to the fridge, and a pretty pungent smell. Already thinking "Oh Sh*t!...but maybe not too bad"...
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433300032.018944.jpg

Opened up to find my 5.5 gal batch drained to just over the 3 gal mark. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433300071.873975.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433300089.215765.jpg

Apparently in my rush, and dark garage, I shoved the blow off tube down into the liquid. Doh!!! Yeah, don't do that...View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433300132.974470.jpg

I'll try and be optimistic. Still smells great and fermentation still chugging along, with what's left of it...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433299972.780010.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 115
Don't ya hate it when you do something dumb, even though you know better?! I hate it when that happens. I finally got the camera instructions from another member for my Canon Powershot. Couldn't get the movie mode to work...didn't know I had a big, red movie button next to the viewfinder to press! Now I can get back to shooting videos for my Brewvision youtube channel.

Don't ya hate it when you do something dumb, even though you know better?! I hate it when that happens. I finally got the camera instructions from another member for my Canon Powershot. Couldn't get the movie mode to work...didn't know I had a big, red movie button next to the viewfinder to press! Now I can get back to shooting videos for my Brewvision youtube channel.

Yeah, pretty frustrating, especially since it was only my 2nd brew day this year, so I have no pipeline. Over the next 24 hours, i think I went through all the stages of grief, not necessarily all in order, and circled back to a couple here and there... View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433341366.723775.jpg

Lol. Oh well, just makes me want to brew up another batch quickly! Brew on!

Trying to get rid of some brett.

alienbrettr.jpg

Dry hopped my IPA with an ounce each of cluster and green bullet. Took a gravity reading and wlp090 had taken the OG from 1.072 down to 1.008! Drunkeness, here I come!! Lol

Brewed up an IPA with Ahtanum, Centennial, and Colombus hops. Also adjusted the mineral content and PH of my water for the first time, I'm hoping it really lets the hops shine through more than my previous batches.

Inspected a starter that was spinning overnight. Two 1056 Smack Paks in 3.5L. Lookin very tan and healthy - lots of yeasties suspended with evidence of a little overnight krausen. I'll crash that tonight for my 10g American IPA brew session tomorrow.

Also prepped brew sheets and water chemistry and weighed out grain bill for tomorrow.

I bought hops & Whirlfloc yesterday for a Mosaic/Citra IPA that a couple dudes have been hounding me to throw together. (Me & myself). Thinking I'll make it a decent session beer, I need something under 6% around for summer. I'll mill the grain tonight and brew tomorrow afternoon, while furthering my garage cleanout, between mowing and hanging a ceiling fan. Like I haven't done enough this week. Last night was the first night I've sat on my couch for longer than ten minutes since Sunday, and that's only because basketball was on. I did lose five pounds this week, getting fit for fighting.

Brewed a helles. Just as I'm finishing, I see a fruit fly in my starter. Luckily I'd harvested a vial off the previous step, so I have a new starter going already. But I need to do a second step, meaning the wort will be without yeast for 2 days.

Oh, and it wasn't supposed to rain today, but just as I was starting the sparge a shower came by. I covered everything and retreated inside for 10 minutes.

Brewed an India Red Ale.

Rocked out to a different India Red Ale while brewing that one!
:rockin:

Thursday I made a WYeast 1010 starter for a wheat from harvested yeast, today I'll bottle a cherry wheat and Monday I'll brew up another wheat kit and a Mexican amber.

Racking my Belgian IPA to secondary & dry hopping w/ whole cone Citra. Legging my Grapefruit Wheat IPA & adding grapefruit zest tea to kegs.
Cleanup of carboys and brewery in general.

Gotta drive my older son's moving truck today, so I'll be earning my beer later. I still have to finish rearranging the brewery/man cave. I also found my barley crusher finally hung up a roller, so I'll have to take it apart & clean the bushings for the first time. Gotta get that resolved so I can crush the grains for my #1 Burton ale coming soon.

Latest posts

Back