First batch fermentation question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travt2000

Reaction score
First batch is in the fermenter and when I checked the airlock a few minutes ago, the bubbles are coming about every 10-15 seconds.

Put in primary on Friday night and OG was 1.059. English Pale Ale.

Saturday morning it was bubbling away and by mid morning it was bubbling pretty quickly - about every 2 seconds it would belch some CO2 into the airlock.

Since yesterday, it's slowed down a lot... like I said, to about every 10-15 seconds.

Is this the process just naturally slowing down or a potential stalled fermentation?

I haven't taken a gravity reading since Friday and wasn't planning on even checking it again until Wednesday... just a little curious if this is a somewhat "normal" time for the process to start slowing down for this style.

Yes as fermentation slows down, the airlock usually follows suit. SInce the airlock is a valve, a vent to void EXCESS co2 and keep your beer off the ceiling, it is perfectly normal that as fermentation is winding down, so would the co2 decrease as well.

But that doesn't mean that the yeast aren't still doing their jobs, just not as "enthusiastically" as it was....

Depends on how warm you are fermenting at. If it's within range quoted for the yeast you used, then I'd say it is normal.

Only way is to let it go until at least another week and then check the gravity to see if it attenuated to the specs of the yeast.

To me it sound perfectly normal.

Everything is going according to plan. :p

Two weeks is the minimum for ME (assuming a simple brew like basic ale or brown or etc) if I am super-rushing a batch. Ideal is 4 weeks for me.

No worries, just let the yeasties have their time to work. No need to even check anything if you wait it out...

Thanks! Haven't even been planning to move to secondary until Sunday, so definitely not rushing... just kind of cool knowing the magical yeast gnomes are in there doing their thing.

Back