Fermentation Question- on my 5th batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new here- first post. I've made four batches of beer already, one of which I had to throw out because I screwed it up.

Each and every time I've done a batch, the primary fermentation goes nuts for a few days, then stops. I rack it over to the secondary and there is very little activity, almost none in fact. Is this something to worry about? If so, what could I be doing wrong?

Also, my current batch is a Lager and I've been told to pitch more yeast than usual. Is this true?

Thanks, I look forward to any answers you all can give me.

MattC said:
Hello,
I'm new here- first post. I've made four batches of beer already, one of which I had to throw out because I screwed it up.

Each and every time I've done a batch, the primary fermentation goes nuts for a few days, then stops. I rack it over to the secondary and there is very little activity, almost none in fact. Is this something to worry about? If so, what could I be doing wrong?

Also, my current batch is a Lager and I've been told to pitch more yeast than usual. Is this true?

Thanks, I look forward to any answers you all can give me.

You shouldn't have any (or very little) activity in the secondary - so you're fine.

I've never heard of pitching more yeast in a lager - you just need to be able to ferment at the right temps - which isn't always so easy.

first, welcome to the site. lots of info, and helpfull people

Ok, secondary fermentation can be misleading. Its nothing more than a carifying tank to let your beer settle out all the cloudiness caused from yeast and proteins left in suspension of your beer.So your good not seeing much in the secondary.

Sometimes fermentation will pick back up a little bit in the secondary from stirring up yeast into suspension again. But your beer is pretty much done before you rack it to a secondary.

Okay, thanks. I figured as much. But I just wanted to make sure. I just moved into an apartment by myself, so I'm using the fridge for the fermentation and a mini-fridge for the food that *should* be in there. :)

So far, so good. Thanks for the info.

I don't think Lager ferment temps are compatible with keeping food. What I mean is, Lager yeast usually likes 50-55 degrees while you'll want to keep food in the 33-40 range for best results. You might want to make sure you're not too cold.

Back