Keg Lube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbob

Reaction score
I am close to putting my first keg into my kegerator. I have been piecing together almost everything I need. My question is do most of you lube all the O rings with food grade lube or do you just wet them with water or sanitizer. the keg lube that I bought is very sticky & I would think that anything around it would stick to it & make them dirty

I have like 5 x 5 gallon cornys and 1 x 10 gallon. All have have been fully dissembled for cleaning and many of the o-rings and washers replaced. I have never used lube and have never had a problem once I reconditioned them.

The O-Rings will last longer if a food grade lubricant is used on them. It isn't necessary for proper function, just for longer life.

I am close to putting my first keg into my kegerator. I have been piecing together almost everything I need. My question is do most of you lube all the O rings with food grade lube or do you just wet them with water or sanitizer. the keg lube that I bought is very sticky & I would think that anything around it would stick to it & make them dirty

No rinse sanitizer will only make it worse. Once it dries though it will be fine and work most of the time. I have never used lube but might as it would make it easier to get a seal on the first try.

The lube on the large lid oring definitely helps with getting a good seal at lower psi. On the posts, it helps the disconnects NOT tear any chunks out of the oring. It also makes the disconnects easier to push on/pull off. I use it 90% of the time when I don't forget where I put the lube.

I use the lube most of the time, and it works well. I just smear it on the sanitized o-rings and close up the keg. It does help with sealing the lid, and keeps the o-rings supple.

I haven't been kegging long but can see the benefit of using a lube, particularly on the large lid 'O' ring, and to increase the life of the 'O' rings. Without lube the large 'O' ring certainly sticks and I can see bits of it eventually pealing of if left dry. I'm using 'CRC Synthetic Food Grade Lube' (spray can) and would be interested to hear what lubes others are using. Interesting to see on the can it says 'Warning may be harmful if swallowed or inhaled.' But I guess that would be if you were stupid enough to spray it down your throat.

Pilgrim.

Latest posts

Back