Coffee Porter....Can you help me with the numbers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcbogantes

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a 3G experimental batch of coffee Porter. I understand that cold brewed coffee is the way to go (added to secondary or bottling time). I'm a coffee lover but I don't want my porter to be overwhelmed by coffee flavor, I'm looking for a good balance of smooth java flavor.

I was thinking 2 cups of water + 4oz of dark roast coffee so I will end up with 1 cup of cold coffee to add to the 3G batch.
What do you think? Is it correct or not?

Thank you in advance

jcbogantes said:
I'm fermenting a 3G experimental batch of coffee Porter. I understand that cold brewed coffee is the way to go (added to secondary or bottling time). I'm a coffee lover but I don't want my porter to be overwhelmed by coffee flavor, I'm looking for a good balance of smooth java flavor.

I was thinking 2 cups of water + 4oz of dark roast coffee so I will end up with 1 cup of cold coffee to add to the 3G batch.

Thank you in advance

You should taste it. I did a 2.5 gallon batch and added about 2 cups at bottling. Nice coffee flavor. Flavor was definitely there but not overwhelming. Probably depends on the coffee too. I cold brewed some Starbucks for 4 days.

I just finished a coffee porter - 9 oz. of coffee (course ground) and 6 oz. of cacao - sat in a 200 micron bag in the keg for a week at 40F. The coffee and cacao flavor are very prominent.

In 5 gallons of Porter, I cold brewed 4 oz of dark roast into 3 cups of water, and when I added it, I didn't think it was enough. I then added a rinse of the grounds by shaking and added into the bottling bucket. I thought it was just right. Three weeks later it tasted like coffee. Only coffee. Way out of bounds coffee. Like add ice and cream to make iced coffee, coffee. It completely ruined my taste for any kind of dark beer that has a coffee aroma or flavor. I guess my point is, a lot of flavor additions increase when conditioning, and for me, it was too much.

Well then I think to be sure I'm going to cold brew 2oz of coffee in 2 cups of water then add that to a secondary and see what happens.

Thank you in advance

these numbers and methods look perfect to me. right where you want it. it will be good

Back