Stainless steel temperature probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircleC-Brewer

Reaction score
Looking for a recommendation on a stainless steel temperature probe, which has a 1/2" NPT thread on the end. The probes that come standard with the Ranco or Johnson Controlers seem inadequate and cannot be threaded into the boiling pot using the Thermomabob. I am looking to duplicate the following Mash Tun set up

http://www.goldendogbrewery.com/tun.php

Thanks

CircleC-Brewer

You might consider threading in a thermowell first. Then you can put your thermocouple in that rather than try to find a stainless temperature probe.

There are many people here who have done that in kettles, kegs, lids, etc.

I have used the 1/2" NPT Threaded thermowells from St. Patricks [Scroll to the bottom to the thermowells section]. But with some searching you can find them several places.

More Beer has a really nice thermo w/ a 6" stainless probe. Fermentap is the make. I just purchased 2 for a HLT and MT.

By placing the thermocouple in a Thermowell would the temperature accuracy be off by a few degrees?

No, it may just react slightly slower. But if you are measuring mash temps or hot liquor temps, once it gets to your desired temp it will fluctuate little and slowly. Not an issue. Many use thermowells.

I wouldn't think so, but I've always just trusted my thermo to give me the right temp. I alternate my other 2 thermos between my boil kettle. By doing this I can keep tabs on weather my dial is reading correctly. I would think that with a 1/2 MPT back it would not give you a wrong temp by picking up a few deg from the SS thread connection. The probe doesn't touch anything but the water, wort, or grain.
Cheers, Gabe

If your going to put a probe inside a closed well, you can use thermal grease to help conductivity. I would recommend getting the stuff that comes in a syringe. It can be messy. If you search for thermal grease and HVAC on google you can find some. Honeywell and Mamaic both make thermal grease. I use it at work all the time.

Back