Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you pour another mug of black coffee and it makes you yearn for one of your darker brews. Then as the bubbles go away (on top of the coffee) you start thinking about how you could brew it with better head retention.

When your wife makes a deal, ij you remodel the kitchen, you can keep your keezer in it. And you take the deal.

When you work at a feed mill and see an open bag of horse grains with molasses and start wondering what kind of beer you could make with it.

When you are at work, you think about brewing. When you are at home, you think about brewing. When you are drinking beer, you think about brewing. When you are brewing, you think about future brews. When you are hanging out with friends/coworkers, you think about brewing, and often times, you talk about brewing. When you are showering, you think about brewing. When you are playing video games, you think about brewing. While you are away from a computer, you think about posts on the previously mentioned forum dedicated to brewing.

When you're checking out a bigger fridge and comment (within earshot of the salesperson) to your SO that you officially have more fridges for beer than food and the salesperson winks (yep, he WINKED) at said SO and says "heh, that'll change soon..."; then you & SO look at each other, laugh and say "doubt it"!!

When more than 50-percent of your garage is dedicated to brewing + storage of brewing equipment.

LVBen said:
When you are at work, you think about brewing. When you are at home, you think about brewing. When you are drinking beer, you think about brewing. When you are brewing, you think about future brews. When you are hanging out with friends/coworkers, you think about brewing, and often times, you talk about brewing. When you are showering, you think about brewing. When you are playing video games, you think about brewing. While you are away from a computer, you think about posts on the previously mentioned forum dedicated to brewing.

Amen, amen! It's the bug!

You mean that's not "normal"??

When,no matter how many bad things are coming back to ruin your life once more,you always find yourself here to ease your troubled mind.

When you see a commercial for a law firm that says "Fight the IRS" and your first thought is "Mmmmm, imperial russian stout shought be embraced, not fought" and go to the distributor and pick up some Stone IRS.

When your chore list( written by your wife) Looks like this.

1: Take out trash
2: Fix door
3: KEG BEER
Saw this,this morning and thought sweet she's finally coming around.

When you're soaking the gunk out of your fermenter,& it's getting darker,then the wife points at it,asking "next brew?" with a gleam in her eye.

You take a vacation day just to brew. (I wasn't going to have time during the weekend, and my pipeline was in jeopardy.)

You have a pipeline.

You rationalize your brewing decision to others.

Oh my god, i did all three of these in one week. That's it, i have a problem. One i'll have to drink away i guess! :rockin::rockin::rockin:

When you keep finding yourself staring at the boxes of bottled ales conditioning on the other side of the room while on here. And all the while chomping at the bit to get your next one going after FV is finally clean.

your addicted to homebrewing when you have a "homebrewery" name as well as a name for each of your homebrews. and then to top it off, you also have a name for your fermenter. :mug:

Well,I haven't named my fermenter yet...

i call mine abigail, as in abigail the ale pale. ;)
also you know your addicted to homebrewing when you have a library of every issue of byo magazine from the past 5-6 years for the recipes as well as for bathroom reading material. also add to that the few different issues of zymurgy magazine for recipe ideas. :D

Think Foxworthy on this one.......

If you have more pounds of grain and hops than you have pounds of food in your refrigerator and freezer (yes the freezer for food, not the other two temp controlled ones for beer... ) YOU might be a Homebrewer.

If your basement looks like a local brewery closed and the auctioneer needed space to lay out all 500 items for people to bid on..... YOU might be a Homebrewer.

If you go into the grocery store and walk up and down the beer isle, then after 30 minutes of deciding you say "Ah forget it... none of these beers are good enough." .....YOU might be a Homebrewer :rockin:

Ha, I spent 20 minutes in wegmans looking at beer and did not buy anything b/c I have 5 tap at home and 80 gallons in the pipeline.

I am a sucker for 22 oz bottles, I sometime buy a beer just for that.

Think Foxworthy on this one.......

If you have more pounds of grain and hops than you have pounds of food in your refrigerator and freezer (yes the freezer for food, not the other two temp controlled ones for beer... ) YOU might be a Homebrewer.

If your basement looks like a local brewery closed and the auctioneer needed space to lay out all 500 items for people to bid on..... YOU might be a Homebrewer.

If you go into the grocery store and walk up and down the beer isle, then after 30 minutes of deciding you say "Ah forget it... none of these beers are good enough." .....YOU might be a Homebrewer :rockin:

SWMBO gets annoyed because i spend too long in the beer aisle at the liquor store :D I have to plan my weekly beer to dinner pairings but also be aware of costs. Its a delicate balance :mug:

jfrank85 said:
SWMBO gets annoyed because i spend too long in the beer aisle at the liquor store :D I have to plan my weekly beer to dinner pairings but also be aware of costs. Its a delicate balance :mug:

My wife and I go to the liquor store for drinks sometimes and she will sift through a 1000 different bottles of wine and make her pick in 10 minutes. 45 minutes later I'm still at the sampling taps trying to find that perfect selection. Lol. So yeah I know what you mean. Then I usually go with something tried and true. It's like at a restaurant when you look at the menu for 15 minutes knowing the whole time you will get the same thing you always get.

mrduna01 said:
My wife and I go to the liquor store for drinks sometimes and she will sift through a 1000 different bottles of wine and make her pick in 10 minutes. 45 minutes later I'm still at the sampling taps trying to find that perfect selection. Lol. So yeah I know what you mean. Then I usually go with something tried and true. It's like at a restaurant when you look at the menu for 15 minutes knowing the whole time you will get the same thing you always get.

Tried and true, no such thing in my book. I try to have something different everytime until I have tried everything. If I go back for a repeat it is something I find truly exceptional.

mrduna01 said:
So the exceptional brews you speak of aren't tried and true? Those are what I go for most of the time.

Touché. But not me. Usually only when nothing else interests me.

milldoggy said:
I am a sucker for 22 oz bottles, I sometime buy a beer just for that.

Good point. You might be addicted to brewing if you prefer to buy beer in singles or bombers, because six packs stay in the fridge for months while you're drinking homebrew instead.

Tried and true, no such thing in my book. I try to have something different everytime until I have tried everything. If I go back for a repeat it is something I find truly exceptional.

I'm the exact same way. If i've made it through the entire beer selection at the grocery store then i will actually stop shopping there.

So far i've conquered Kroger, Albertsons, WalMart (that wasn't difficult, but they still had some interesting things among the A-B swill), Tom Thumb, and Sprouts. I'm working on Central Market. Once that happens i won't have any grocery stores left to try so i guess i'll be making more frequent trips to the LHBS for their selection. That might be an expensive problem to have though, they have beer making stuff and we all know that if you're posting here then you like beer making stuff! :drunk:

Back