Campden and Chlorine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If treating the water solely for chloramines, will sodium metabasulfite possibly cause off-flavors due to the added sodium, or is there such a small amount that it is insignificant?

I understand potassium metabasulfite is recommended because there is no sodium added to the water, but is there really a problem with the amount of sodium?

If treating the water solely for chloramines, will sodium metabasulfite possibly cause off-flavors due to the added sodium, or is there such a small amount that it is insignificant?

I understand potassium metabasulfite is recommended because there is no sodium added to the water, but is there really a problem with the amount of sodium?

In talking with the LHBS guy he said that you would need to add far more than the recomened serving to have a negative effect. I would say if you are adjusting your water, don't add any more Na though.

I am sure you could do the math on how many ppm it adds per gram or something... anyone....

Molecular is Na2S2O5

In talking with the LHBS guy he said that you would need to add far more than the recomened serving to have a negative effect. I would say if you are adjusting your water, don't add any more Na though.

I am sure you could do the math on how many ppm it adds per gram or something... anyone....

Molecular is Na2S2O5

Not really adjusting my water, just treating for chloramine, I add 1/4 crushed tablet to a 5 gallon water bottles for my brew water, and was curious as to whether or not the sodium metabasulfite will have a negative effect on my brew.

Basically should I switch to postassium, or am I safe with the sodium?

My LHBS sells campden tabs (sodium metabasulfite), but has potassium metabasulfite in powder form.

Would it make any difference in beer flavor?

It's an insignificant amount IMO...

My frst thought is that it has to be a very small amount.

You can always use bottled water in a pinch as well.

My tap water is pretty good, since it is from a municiple source it must be treated for chlorine/chloramines. Plus I want to avoid paying for bottled water if I can, it's just another unnecessary expense.

My frst thought is that it has to be a very small amount.

My tap water is pretty good, since it is from a municiple source it must be treated for chlorine/chloramines. Plus I want to avoid paying for bottled water if I can, it's just another unnecessary expense.

I gotcha. I just thought you needed the campden tablets right away. I bought 2 bottles online and crushed them into powder. Then on brew day I add my small amount to my strike water and i'm done.

Grocery store solution:

A Vitamin C tablet crushed to powder will also completely neutralize Chlorine and Chloramine from water instantly.

Per reading on the internet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramine

Its an anti-oxidant and breaks the bond down in a similar fashion as camden.

Seems 1000 mg treats 75 gallons of water.

Thanks again for the research. I ended up adding vitamin C to my filled up keg the night before brewing just as a precaution.

Any other sources about clearing chloramine with vitamin C? I found some already ground ascorbic acid (vitamin C) at my local restaurant supply store and thought it would be a great way to deal with chloramine rather than filtering. Any guidelines about how much to add and any issues with using vitamin C with brewing?

Back