Is 5 cu ft Fermentation chamber large enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy35

Reaction score
Hello,
Just starting here and my wife is complaining about the rotten egg my hefe yeast is giving off. So, I convinced her to allow me to get a chest freezer, thermo control kit. I'm pumped because now I can keep it in the garage AND brew in the hot summer months.

Ive been browsing Craigslist and have been reading a lot but can't seem to find my answer. I know I could just make some cut outs and travel to HD or Lowes, but I don't have much free time and was hoping to do my homework well, at home!

I'm looking at Holiday 5 cu ft freezer (Shop Holiday 5 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer (Color: White) at Lowes.com) but want to make sure it will fit my 2 6.5 gallon buckets. Most all I've read is about fitting carboys, and I'm not sure if the size would be the exact same. Most say it cannot fit 2 carboys, but like I said I use buckets. I may down the road use carboys, but I'm fine with buckets. Price is definitely a huge concern. I had hoped to stay under 150 for both the freezer and temp control but am having trouble finding a decent freezer on craigslist.

Does anybody who has this setup comment on their experience? Thanks!

I'd say measure your 2 fermentors and then look at the specs of the freezer. Says its 33.25"H x 22.06"D x 28.34"W, might be a tight fit but seems like it could work.

Don't forget to add the height of the airlocks.

^ those are exterior dimensions. and don't forget about the hump inside.

buckets are 11.75" diameter and carboys are 10.75" diameter. I doubt 2 buckets will fit.

I have a 7 CF freezer that won't fit two buckets below the hump. Without a collar, there's little chance that freezer would fit two buckets.

Mine WILL however fit one bucket and a carboy. So two carboys MIGHT be able to squeeze in there, but I still think you may need a collar to utilize the "hump" space.

Back