What can I expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poislb

Reaction score
Did a BB red ale, came with nottingham and i F'ed it up. Didnt sanitize the container that I rehydrated in. Ended up using safale 05, didnt get the crusted Krausen that i normally get. Pitched at 64 and was steady throughout fermantation. Krausen has settled but with some foam/bubbles on top. Shes clearing up pretty good, just wanna know if it will be good when the recipe called for english yeast and I pitched american. Thanks in advance.

It's fine. It will make for a slightly different beer but it will still be beer.

Think about the beer they made hundreds of years ago. They didn't have any idea what yeast were ending up in the beer, they just set it out and it fermented.

RDWHAHB.

2 weeks in, took a gravity reading. Was at 1.012 which is nice, its a 5.25%er. Took a sample of course and its the best beer ive made yet, was a semi controlled ferm temp at 64-66 and has no off flavors as far as i can tell yet. I think i may have figured out a good system, pitch below my fermantation temp and control it during the most active stage to not let it rise above 65 degrees. Gotta get me a frezer with a johnson control unit on there. Screw the shiny kettles and high end brew stands. If ya cant control the ferm temp its not even worth making beer imop... Im still new to this but i can for sure tell the difference in this batch as oppose to my last which rose above 70....

Another question, i wanna dry hop in the primary. How many oz's of willemette hops should I use? Thanks

I have centennial hops as well if that would be better...

Back