Question regarding oaking beer in secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm producing a Hop Devil Clone (according to my LHBS, although the O.G./F.G. is too low for the right ABV, anyway...) and am interested in oaking it in secondary. I'm wondering whether this is a good idea since the ABV is not as high as what we've come to expect from oak aged ales. Mine will sit around 4.5% ABV. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, if I choose to oak, anyone have any suggestions on type of oak chips to use and how much? It's a 5 gallon batch.

The last clone recipe I did called for 2 oz American Oak Chips in the secondary as well as 1 oz American Oak in primary. Just a thought

I oaked a three gallon batch of an Arrogant Bastard clone for two weeks on one ounce of chips soaked in bourbon. It took about four months for the oak to age out enough to be drinkable! It turned out great, though, after some aging.

Since you're at 4.5%, I'd try oaking with one ounce of medium American oak (or even light toast- which should give you more "vanilla" than "oak") and taste after a week. Taste weekly until it's just about right, knowing that the tannins will smooth out a bit after bottling. Then rack off of the oak and bottle.

Back