Bottle exploding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclingpole

Reaction score
Friend of mine has couple older Belgian ales in bombers sitting in her basement. Two of the bottles exploded last week during a storm. We think maybe the air pressure change during stormy weather caused the explosion.

Has anyone heard of something like that happening before? I'd think the outside pressure changes are so small how could that cause the bottles to go?

thanks
j

No way the drop in atmospheric pressure did that. Likely the pressure inside just happened to reach the breaking point the bottle could handle.

I've had a few bottles break and they normally go when they are jostled against each other or tipped over. Those ones had some micro cracks from being dumped in hot/boiling water (I do not recommend that as a method of sterilization... live and learn).

I had a whole pile of bottle bombs and they were very temperature sensitive, just a couple of degrees would cause a cascade of broken bottles.

Probably wasn't the pressure but the temperature that did it.

Remember that beer can only hold so much CO2 at a given temp so a 2 to 3 point temp could increase the internal pressure substantially.

Latest posts

Back