Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only 34 year old man who plays Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare? My son got it for his birthday, I think I enjoy playing as much as he does .

Am I the only 34 year old man who plays Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare? My son got it for his birthday, I think I enjoy playing as much as he does .

Haha... ya got me by a few years but...

All my friends who have you by a few years were up here for SuperBowl this last year. One of the nights after excessive partying, we somehow ended up buying that game and playing it for several hours the following day, taking turns while refueling our inebriation.

It was entertaining for a while, for sure. More so depending on how far along we were in the partying process.

Guess I should talk. Got a decent gaming PC, need to upgrade the graphics card to something more modern (has an AMD 6670, hoping to sell my laptop for parts to get an R9) and picked up Skyrim,I have to say, I have it on high, and the visuals are insanely better than 360 but my favorite thing is the load screens virtually don't exist anymore.

... picked up Skyrim..

I still miss that game from time to time. When we close on our house, I will definitely be putting the PS3 in the garage after I remodel it. Still never beat that damn game but it doesn't matter. As soon as I get the chance, I just ignore the story and run off into the wilderness lol.

Guess I should talk. Got a decent gaming PC, need to upgrade the graphics card to something more modern (has an AMD 6670, hoping to sell my laptop for parts to get an R9) and picked up Skyrim,I have to say, I have it on high, and the visuals are insanely better than 360 but my favorite thing is the load screens virtually don't exist anymore.

If you have the PC Version, get the HD patch through steam. it helps lots. The unofficial patch helps as well.

There are mods in Steam workshop (or in Nexus if you don't use Steam) to make just about everything in Skyrim much prettier than the version that installs by default.

I still miss that game from time to time. When we close on our house, I will definitely be putting the PS3 in the garage after I remodel it. Still never beat that damn game but it doesn't matter. As soon as I get the chance, I just ignore the story and run off into the wilderness lol.

I become a member of the Dark Brotherhood before even telling the Jarl of Whiterun about dragons, cause Shadowmere is the shizz

If you have the PC Version, get the HD patch through steam. it helps lots. The unofficial patch helps as well.

The unofficial patch fixes a lot of stuff. It's fantastic how people who don't make a dime off this stuff have such amazing attention to detail.

I become a member of the Dark Brotherhood before even telling the Jarl of Whiterun about dragons, cause Shadowmere is the shizz

Does anyone really bother with the main quest? There's quite a bit to do without dragons hounding you everywhere you go. You either have to do it right away to get the Dragonrend shout (at least if you're a melee person and especially with the Better Combat AI mod) or avoid it completely. I've had plenty of Civil War/Winterhold/Companions quests derailed by some interrupting dragon-- or else they attack me right after I'm done doing whatever, and I'm totally not ready for it. :smack:

Does anyone really bother with the main quest? There's quite a bit to do without dragons hounding you everywhere you go.

I usually go just far enough in the story to make the dragons start showing up, never really have a problem with them. Now I definitely miss it. Crap.

The only real issue I had with the game was the expansion that let you build houses. That was game over for me. I would spend hours building and hoarding materials to build more. Then I would go out in search of really inane things to put in the building... I had a helmet collection in one room and a collection of insects in jars in another room.

Although, one time I did finally leave the house and there was a dragon sitting right outside the front door. So that was neat. Spent half an hour pushing the corpse down a hill into the lake so it was out of the way.

You couldn't pay me to get Hearthfire-- I have trouble justifying the time I waste on TES/Civ/Total War as it is!

There was a time before PS4 and even when I had got the PS4, that Skyrim was still the only game worth playing so I got the expansions. I wasn't a huge fan of the vampire/werewolves one. It was done really well, in that when you'd transform you would have a unique skill tree for that hybrid... but I did not like the vampire model. The degradation of your actual character over time with the original vampire system was much more dramatic.

There was a time before PS4 and even when I had got the PS4, that Skyrim was still the only game worth playing so I got the expansions. I wasn't a huge fan of the vampire/werewolves one. It was done really well, in that when you'd transform you would have a unique skill tree for that hybrid... but I did not like the vampire model. The degradation of your actual character over time with the original vampire system was much more dramatic.

Being a vampire has never been worth it, IMO. Maybe in Morrowind, definitely not Oblivion, and it's sort of meh in Skyrim. Being a werewolf, however, is badass. Ripping Thalmor throats out is a good way to unwind after a long hump day. :)

Any thoughts on the location of the next one?

I did not care for Hearthfire. Seemed really cheesy compared to everything else.

Well.. some of us are obsessed with architecture/construction/design, virtual or reality. Regardless, it didn't work well on the PS3. Eventually there were so many things in the structure that the game wouldn't load and I had to go build a new one.

In that case, PC might have been a better option but my motherboard had melted.

Any thoughts on the location of the next one?

The location of the next one? I'm not sure what you mean. I can not wait for ESO.

The werewolf was really pretty fun and I wanted to try some of the higher skills, just never quite made it that far. I always made sure to turn the difficulty up to keep it challenging; there were points in the game that I could not progress through without going feral.

The vampire (original) would have been beneficial, if you were not an assassin already. The assassin's on Skyrim were brutally stealthy. The first character I made went that route... until there was a point that I found myself hidden, in the middle of the day, in the middle of a field, directly in front of someone. I was done with the class at that point, too ridiculous.

The location of the next one? I'm not sure what you mean. I can not wait for ESO.

At first I was like :confused:, but then I was like :smack: (I have a PC, so we've had ESO for a year already). Lots of speculation among us, the PC master race (though from your name, I can tell you might be one of us anyway!), about the next single-player installment's location. Seems the current frontrunner is Black Marsh, though I'm not sure how they'd swing that. Sounds as feasible as The Sims: Amazon River Basin from reading the few books about the place.

The first character I made went that route... until there was a point that I found myself hidden, in the middle of the day, in the middle of a field, directly in front of someone. I was done with the class at that point, too ridiculous.

Yarp. Only magic users and hammer-swinging brawlers for me. Hiding, sniping, and paying for stuff with B&Es gets really boring after a while.

Last edited:
At first I was like :confused:, but then I was like :smack: (I have a PC, so we've had ESO for a year already).

Yarp. Only magic users and hammer-swinging brawlers for me. Hiding, sniping, and paying for stuff with B&Es gets really boring after a while.

Oh, I got ya. I went through a company and had them build me a beautiful computer a few years ago. It lasted one year. One week after the warranty was up, the coolermaster fan seized up and the motherboard melted. The company wanted nothing to do with me and would do nothing more than sell me a new computer. Worst purchase ever. Been without a gaming pc ever since.

I did get to try ESO for about a week when my pc was still good though, early when it first was released. I'm glad I didn't get to explore too far, I am way too excited for it on console. I just hope a few of my friends get it.

And yeah.. I don't know too much about the lore, but I don't think I'd enjoy anything to do with Black Marsh.

- oh and I have a 2-handed sword / mage guy. He's funky but challenging.

Have you gotten any of the new bounties to queue up yet? Had read it can take up to 10 minutes for the scenario to start once you get to the location.

Feck that.

I havent really got too far in to it. The one I did there was another event going at the same time and I think I did the wrong one because i did not know that will happen. I'm sure its a ploy to waste more time in that game. Fun game but annoyed by the systems. Especially of the million currencies in there.

Oh, I got ya. I went through a company and had them build me a beautiful computer a few years ago. It lasted one year. One week after the warranty was up, the coolermaster fan seized up and the motherboard melted. The company wanted nothing to do with me and would do nothing more than sell me a new computer. Worst purchase ever. Been without a gaming pc ever since.

I did get to try ESO for about a week when my pc was still good though, early when it first was released. I'm glad I didn't get to explore too far, I am way too excited for it on console. I just hope a few of my friends get it.

And yeah.. I don't know too much about the lore, but I don't think I'd enjoy anything to do with Black Marsh.

- oh and I have a 2-handed sword / mage guy. He's funky but challenging.

Ouch. I don't have a gaming PC-- just a laptop I got during grad school that can handle drawing GIS shapefiles in less than 20 minutes. The last computer I had drew a simple county boundary at about the speed I could do it by hand. It runs Skyrim with few issues, even a couple of visual enhancement mods, though it would be nice to turn up the quality someday. Ever think of building your own?

I don't have ESO, and frankly, you mention the reason I don't. Partying with people I don't know is lame. The reason I quit any game is typically because my friends stopped playing, too. Nowadays, convincing my friends, the lot of non-PC-owning recent college grads and new parents, to drop 50 bones on a random MMO is a tough sell. That would take a lot of homebrew. :mug:

Does anyone really bother with the main quest? There's quite a bit to do without dragons hounding you everywhere you go. You either have to do it right away to get the Dragonrend shout (at least if you're a melee person and especially with the Better Combat AI mod) or avoid it completely. I've had plenty of Civil War/Winterhold/Companions quests derailed by some interrupting dragon-- or else they attack me right after I'm done doing whatever, and I'm totally not ready for it. :smack:

I love Dragon battles. But I hate them without Shadowmere. With Shadowmere I can kill a dragon without having NPC fodder Imperials or Stormcloaks. Shadowmere is the shizz.

Then again I also love Dragon battles because it's a great way to make money.

The best one was when I punched a dragon to death. Good times.

Every fight ends with dragging an overweight inventory of dragon bones back to my house for storage.

Nah I sell them, until I'm close enough in Smithing to make Dragonscale armor of course. But when I'm close I just start taking up as many bounties as possible, I forget what I guessed but I think if you take the same bounties you have like a 1/4 chance of getting a dragon. I've played as a sniper and as a fighter, I prefer the sniper route. It gets a little boring sometimes, but I love making insane snipes with a bow and arrow. Like when you hit an enemy you can't even make out in zoom. Even in my close range I prefer dual wielding and moving around to blocking and heavy. I had the 2 handed weapons. I know they serve a purpose but they're just too clunky for me. I think my death rate with 2 handed weapons is higher than with any other.

I had the 2 handed weapons. I know they serve a purpose but they're just too clunky for me. I think my death rate with 2 handed weapons is higher than with any other.

Which makes you more of a boss when you get the one-swing killcam! :rockin:

Eat hammer, squishy magic guy!

Which makes you more of a boss when you get the one-swing killcam! :rockin:

Eat hammer, squishy magic guy!

A favorite moment of mine:

I had just completed one of the daedric quests and was rewarded with some nasty 2-handed axe.
I had also just learned the sweep skill if that is what it was called, which let you do a sideways power attack that would hit everything in its path.
I then went to Whiterun and found I had accidentally continued the civil war quest, and was soon defending the town from a small army.
I ran down the hill from the city like a boss, half-naked in fur armor with the new axe and wiped out an entire charging group with one swing.
The rest of the battle was chasing down archers with brutal results.

It was a glorious.

I like the dragon battles

The werewolf was really pretty fun and I wanted to try some of the higher skills, just never quite made it that far. I always made sure to turn the difficulty up to keep it challenging; there were points in the game that I could not progress through without going feral.

The vampire (original) would have been beneficial, if you were not an assassin already. The assassin's on Skyrim were brutally stealthy. The first character I made went that route... until there was a point that I found myself hidden, in the middle of the day, in the middle of a field, directly in front of someone. I was done with the class at that point, too ridiculous.

ESO... I did the closed beta for it. It was funish, then i lost interest. Especially when i was hearing rumors that it was going to be a pay to play game. I prefer the single player open world flavor TES Games.

A favorite moment of mine:

I had just completed one of the daedric quests and was rewarded with some nasty 2-handed axe.
I had also just learned the sweep skill if that is what it was called, which let you do a sideways power attack that would hit everything in its path.
I then went to Whiterun and found I had accidentally continued the civil war quest, and was soon defending the town from a small army.
I ran down the hill from the city like a boss, half-naked in fur armor with the new axe and wiped out an entire charging group with one swing.
The rest of the battle was chasing down archers with brutal results.

It was a glorious.

Oh, I have to try that.

A note continuing from your "punching dragons" comment: the unarmed killcams are for true pimps. Nothing better than watching some poor sap crumple under a flying haymaker.

Oh, I have to try that.

A note continuing from your "punching dragons" comment: the unarmed killcams are for true pimps. Nothing better than watching some poor sap crumple under a flying haymaker.

Oh yeah man...

I think I have a previous post, likely buried in this thread somewhere about that. It took me a while but I finally figured out how to make a monk that I had missed from Oblivion. It wasn't as good, mostly because of the lack of skills specifically related to it but it was definitely rewarding.

Oh yeah man...

I think I have a previous post, likely buried in this thread somewhere about that. It took me a while but I finally figured out how to make a monk that I had missed from Oblivion. It wasn't as good, mostly because of the lack of skills specifically related to it but it was definitely rewarding.

It's a damn shame, too. Really hoping Unarmed makes a comeback in the next single player release, as well as Unarmored.

There's a build on The Skyrim Blog that makes use of a glitch pertaining to the Fists of Steel Heavy Armor perk that makes being a monk much more viable, if exploits don't bother you.

Back