What program do you guys use to make your labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrock56

Reaction score
I have tried everything from PAINT to PHOTOSHOP. Just curious to see what you guys are having success with.

I use Illustrator. A lot of people use Inkscape, which is a free vector drawing software. Use it for any line drawings and text. If you want pictures in your label, edit them with Photoshop or Gimp. That means color correcting, sizing, levels, effects etc. Then, import that picture into the vector software. You don't need to convert raster images to vector. Its just easier when you use the correct program for the job at hand.

I get labels all day long that people designed in Photoshop. They have a myriad of layers, layer masks and effects. Do you know how annoying it is to try to click on some text in Photoshop only to find you dont have that layer selected?

Adobe InDesign CS3 - works great, though is expensive as hell. Got my copy for free!

Definitely Illustrator. Can scale up from a bottle sized label to a 6-pack carrier size. Plus, since CS2, you can convert most raster images to vector without tracing using Live Trace. Then again, I did get mine cheap because of being a student. Gimp or GimpShop is a good idea for open source.

Photoshop Elements (cuz it's cheap, if you want free go with GIMP)
Inkscape (free, woot. don't think they make illustrator elements)

i usually use a combo of both programs for maximum awesomeness

Think im gonna switch to GIMP and INKSCAPE to try them out. I hate photoshop.. probably because I suck at it and cant figure out how to use it.

Think im gonna switch to GIMP and INKSCAPE to try them out. I hate photoshop.. probably because I suck at it and cant figure out how to use it.

If you hate Photoshop, you will hate the other programs too. They aren't much different, they are just free, and lack some of the higher end features like screening, color management, ICC profile conversion, RAW capabilities and a lot of other stuff printers use. You wouldn't even be accessing that stuff anyways.

The reason you hate Photoshop is that its really a pain to design a label in. If you have access to Illustrator, use that. If not, download Inkscape. Edit any photos you want to use in Photoshop. Import them into your vector art program. Photoshop is a great tool, but its not made to design labels.

I use photoshop, though the style of most of my labels is pixel image-based. Whenever I need something with vectors, illustrator is definitely the way to go.

Crayons or grease pencils. But, my "labels" are basic. Batch 1, batch 2. :)

I'm too new to try to share with anyone and make a label to make the bottle pretty.

Photoshop CS and Microsoft Picture It, mainly picture it caus im not to good with Photoshop, a little over my head but had to learn to use some of it cause most other programs cant do some of the stuff.

Back