Found a year old Braggot in the closet.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thataintchicken

Reaction score
A 22oz bottle of French Toast Braggot. It was good at the time.
Today... it is really good. I think there will be a :drunk: quickly approaching.

French Toast Braggot. 5 gallon batch

4.5 gallons spring water

5 lbs. light pale malt extract.
3 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey.
1 oz Cinnamon Sticks
.5 oz Grated Ginger
.25 oz Ground Jamaican Nutmeg
.25 oz Whole Cloves
1 Vanilla Bean

Nottingham Ale Yeast
.25 oz Saaz Hops

Boil 2.5 gallons of water. Turn off heat and add the malt extract. Stir thoroughly.
Bring mixture to a low boil for 60 minutes. Add hops at 30 minutes into boil.
Cool to 75-80 degrees then pour into your fermenter. Add 2 gallons of warm water then pitch your yeast.

Ferment for 10 days.
Add spices to the wort at this time.
Bring .5 gallons of water to a boil, remove from heat and add the honey to the pot. Stir until dissolved.
Let this cool to 75-80 degrees, then add to the wort.

Ferment for 1 month. Secondary 2 months or until clear enough to read through. Bottle for 3 months minimum.

If you warm this before drinking, like a mulled mead, then add a bit of maple syrup it should taste lovely.

Curious though, why the late addition of the honey? Convention says that the wort and honey should go in together (helps with accurate gravity reading) and spices should be added when racking to a secondary (which I didn't notice here). Is it because of the Notty yeast? Other than those questions, this looks like a damn fine recipe! It's on the list when I one day have money to purchase honey again.

Curious though, why the late addition of the honey? Convention says that the wort and honey should go in together (helps with accurate gravity reading) and spices should be added when racking to a secondary (which I didn't notice here). Is it because of the Notty yeast? Other than those questions, this looks like a damn fine recipe! It's on the list when I one day have money to purchase honey again.

I botched the copy/paste methinks. edited.

This was how I did my first braggot, and this recipe is a variation of that first recipe. It worked so well that I never bothered to change the technique in subsequent brews. If it 'aint broke, as the saying goes.

I know it is not conventional. But, I have never been one to stick to convention.

Curious though, why the late addition of the honey?

Probably because many of the aromatics, volatile and otherwise, of the honey could be driven off in the boil. Many people don't even heat nevermind boil honey when mead/braggot making. There is some debate about this. I've never had a problem with unboiled/unheated honey.

Yeah I've boiled honey and not boiled honey and I have to say not boiling leaves alot of honey aroma, I must admit though that I cant really taste the honey in the final product, its more on the nose than on the tongue. my friends however say they taste the honey. anyway when making braggot i finish my boil turn off the heat and then add the honey, it gets hot enough to kill off any critters and preserves the honey flavor, a good balance.:rockin:

Back