Growing hops in Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabebrewmaster

Reaction score
DO any of you have suggestions for growing hops here in Ohio? Any types that will do better than others, sun, location, etc...
Thanks in advance!

I grew cascades and centennial in erie, pa last year. It should be a pretty similar climate and they did very well

I'm in Northeast Ohio and I've got Cascade, Nugget and Willamette that I started growing last year.

They're facing south in full sun, on slightly raised mounds because the ground where I put them is mostly clay and can sometimes have a bit of standing water after a very heavy rain.

All 3 did very well in the first year, getting about 17 ft high. The Cascade and Nugget each produced a few ounces (dried), the Willamette just grew nice and tall and looked pretty. :p

I didn't do much besides water them every few days and they took off like rockets. Lots of sun and some water and they'll be happy!

I am growing Mt. Hood and Cascade! Last year was the first year for Mt. Hood and they came up strong! Cascades are on year 4 and doing quite well.

Hops are growing well this week in Ohio with all this sun! Mine have shot up from buds about 4 - 6 inches and are getting close to my ropes and me training them.

image-1811271584.jpg

image-543051947.jpg

Hops are growing well this week in Ohio with all this sun! Mine have shot up from buds about 4 - 6 inches and are getting close to my ropes and me training them.

View attachment 53738

View attachment 53739

Glad to hear Ohio is conducive to hop growing. I recently moved to Columbus and hope to start a nice hop garden soon. Can you tell me when you planted? I'm assuming it's too late in the season now to plant, because I'll hit frost temperatures in a few months

Glad to hear Ohio is conducive to hop growing. I recently moved to Columbus and hope to start a nice hop garden soon. Can you tell me when you planted? I'm assuming it's too late in the season now to plant, because I'll hit frost temperatures in a few months

These were planted in the second week of April. It works here in Ohio !
I would think that you could plant even at this point. Probably not a harvest for this year, but would give the root systems a start for next year. If the weather were to turn dry and hot, you would need to water them every couple of days.

hops29June2013.jpg

Back