LME volume/weight ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucepepper

Reaction score
I know that it is difficult to convert volume to mass but I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. The place where I buy my LME (I'm there only homebrewing customer) sells it to me in 2 litre containers. I've tried to find out the approximate density of LME and convert it and have come up with roughly 6-6.5 lbs. If anyone out there can tell me an exact weight of 2liters of pale liquid malt extract it would really help me out. (oh yeah, my scales are incredibly inaccurate so I can't use them. I will buy better scales but for tonight I'm hoping homebrewtalk can save the day.)

It seems to me that the specific gravity of say 1.05 is the same as 1.05 g/ml, therefore

weight =(density)(volume)

weight = 1.05(2000)
weight = 2100 grams which is 4.63 pounds

I guess it makes sense since LME is still mostly water, and when I was doing extract brewing, 6.5 pounds seemed in between 1/2 and 1 gallon.

Thanks for your help everyone. XCmerk, was that 4.56 lbs per liter or 2 liters. I could do the math myself but I want to brew sometime before the weekend is over.

brucepepper said:
Thanks for your help everyone. XCmerk, was that 4.56 lbs per liter or 2 liters. I could do the math myself but I want to brew sometime before the weekend is over.

Per litre.

water is 1.000 and 1L of water = 1kg
so 2l = 2kg

2L * 1.036 = = 2.072kg
2.072kg = 4.65lbs

One more question. I've been thinking about it and I think that the density you gave me was the density of the LME when combined with water. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm not, please, if someone knows, tell me the density of Pale LME.

Back