Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloomerjt07

Reaction score
All the beers that i have brewed have been 2 Pale ale's and one American light. These do not require seconday fermentation, correct? I've heard about the 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks bottle. If brewing an ale do i just do the 1, 3 method?

"Require" is probably a bit stong; "Will markedly improve with" is better. Few beers absolutely NEED a secondary fermenation, but it's the easiest thing to do to make your beers a lot better. In general, smaller (lower OG) beers can get away better without a secondary fermenation.

If you don't use a secondary, I'd be inclined to at least leave the beer in primary for a bit more than a week.

You could also refer to the Secondary as a "Clearing Tank". You just take the beer off the yeast layer in the primary so more yeast can fall out of suspension in secondary, making the beer clearer. It's a matter of preference really, Since I've used a secondary my beers have been a lot clearer.

There is no requirement that you go to a secondary. I do to improve the clarity of my beer (and gain access to my primary for more brew), but my brewing buddy has been a homebrewer for 18 years and has never once gone to a clearing tank.

Honestly, I don't know how much it really affects the flavor of my beer, I started using the secondary just to get the primary empty so I could brew some more.

Back