Primary temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaK

Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to making a temp controlled fridge for my primary fermenting.. I have a soda machine I just took all the shelves out and will be using. I tried using the thermostat on the machine, but the warmest I can get the machine is 52. I have a thermocouple in the jug, so I'm measuring liquid temp. I have decided to use an external temp control and will wire it in place of the machines thermostat. I will use the thermocouple in the wort to maintain the liquid temp.

Question is--- How long do I have to worry about maintaining the fermentation temp? Is it just for the few days of active fermentation, or the entire time it is in the primary... I've got a few batches I want to do consecutive, but only enough space to fit one carboy at a time.

The only reason I'm going through all this trouble is I have the parts at work and it doesn't cost me anything. I have been know to get a bit carried away sometimes..

The first days of active fermentation are the most critical. Once the krausen falls and activity slows you can move your beer to a less tightly controlled temperature environment with little ill effect. The caveat would be big beers where you would probably want to keep it well controlled until finished in order to maximize attenuation.

GT

Well I got my soda machine beer fermenter set up and we are rolling... Temp controller senses the liquid temp and turns the compressor on.. I have a 1 degree variation to keep the compressor from cycling, but I also have my control measuring .1, so that helps the cycling a bit more as well. The soda machine has a constant fan circulating inside the cabinet unlike a refrigerator. This also helps for keeping a constant temp. Its passed the 24hr test and the beer is fermenting away...

DSCN1236.JPG

DSCN1227.JPG

DSCN1234.JPG

the one flaw in my beer making process at the moment. 74 degrees in the cellar in this hellish summer with no thermostatic control. Beers have been suprisingly good for high fermentation temps though. Just takes an extra week for it to mellow out. I need an oldschool coke fridge ...

the one flaw in my beer making process at the moment. 74 degrees in the cellar in this hellish summer with no thermostatic control. Beers have been suprisingly good for high fermentation temps though. Just takes an extra week for it to mellow out. I need an oldschool coke fridge ...

I've got the same weather as you, so I feel your pain.. this was my last step for my beer making process. My next dilemma is I usually brew 2 batches at a time.. I may have to hook up another coke machine and controller assembly.. My wife will be soo happy. :D

Back