California Common Extract Recipe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdatum

Reaction score
Due to the cool temperature in northern California this time of year, I want to give making a California common a go. I don't want it to be an anchor steam clone, so I went with Cluster hops instead of Northern Brewer. I read that Cluster hops are likely to have been around in California the longest, and thought that might be interesting. It might end up a bit fruity than Anchor Steam, but I'm fine with that.

79% 5 lb 12oz Light Dry Malt Extract
14% 1 lb Crystal 60L
7% 8 oz Carapils

60 mins 2.0 Cluster
10 mins 0.5 Cluster
5 mins 0.5 Cluster

Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.

With a pound of C60, I don't think you need the Carapils. I don't have experience with Cluster, so can't comment there. I have ingredients for Yooper's Anchor clone on deck for a future brew.

It looks pretty good for starters though without a hop schedule I can't say for sure (I have tasted versions that were dry hopped that tasted like IPAs - go easy on the late hops).

I have brewed a California loosely based on Jamil's recipe about 6-7 times and it is always fantastic. It is not all that similar to Anchor Steam and not intended to be a clone. The pale chocolate is the key. I would stick with Northern Brewer, it is just a fantastic hop for this style, but to each his own.

Jamil's Version:

7 pounds LME
1.1 pound Munich LME
1 pound crystal 40L
.5 pound Victory
2.0 ounces pale chocolate

I don't have my version handy but it is all grain and uses Crystal 60, Crystal 10, and aromatic, but keeps the munich and pale chocolate. Munich may be off the table for an extract brew unless you can minimash.

I also use S-23 at 60'F and have always had good results. Best part is it is ready to bottle/keg in two weeks tops.

I'd definitely either get rid of the carapils, or lower the crystal 60L, and add some victory malt. I remember something Jamil said in a podcast a while back (maybe 4 years ago)- "California common is all about the toasty!"

I'd use some victory malt, .25 pound, in place of the carapils, to get that "warm" rich flavor that I love so much in a common.

Thanks for the input! I'm still new at making my own recipes so I really appreciate the advice.

Quaker>

I have had problems in the past with head retention, and read that carapils helps with that. I used it on my last two brews and the one that is already finished seemed to have much better head. Was my past head retention troubles due to bad technique perhaps?

Tamarlane>

I was curious about late hops. I'll cut back on that then. I've seen that most California common brews use northern brewer, but that since Cluster hops might be the oldest hops type in the US that early California common brews likely used it. Looking at the beer style descriptions it seems that going with the citrusy hops isn't the norm anymore though.

Chocolate is interesting. I can see how the roasted taste would balance with the fruitier taste from the lager yeast.

Have you used any of the san francisco/california lager liquid yeast?

Yooper>

Victory malt sounds like a great idea. Would using Cluster instead of Northern Brewer ruin that "warm" flavor you think?

Carapils is normally for a lighter beers like a pilsener that wouldn't have any crystal/caramel malts. Can't say why your previous batches had problems without more info on recipe and process. I don't expect it would hurt your flavor, I just don't think it's necessary with the crystal already in there.

Quaker said:
Carapils is normally for a lighter beers like a pilsener that wouldn't have any crystal/caramel malts. Can't say why your previous batches had problems without more info on recipe and process. I don't expect it would hurt your flavor, I just don't think it's necessary with the crystal already in there.

I lowered the temperature and used less water when I steeped my last batches, so maybe that had some impact.

Is a pound of crystal with 6 pounds extract generally enough to make carapils unnecessary?

I lowered the temperature and used less water when I steeped my last batches, so maybe that had some impact.

Is a pound of crystal with 6 pounds extract generally enough to make carapils unnecessary?

Yes- carapils IS a crystal malt (although relatively colorless and flavorless) and is often redundant in a beer that contains enough crystal malt already.

mdatum said:

What temps were and are you steeping at?

When doing extract, I normally put my grains in almost immediately as I turn on the heat. I pull them out around 170. I'm not sure if too hot a steeping temp would affect head retention. My first thought is no, but need to think more on it.

Quaker said:
What temps were and are you steeping at?

When doing extract, I normally put my grains in almost immediately as I turn on the heat. I pull them out around 170. I'm not sure if too hot a steeping temp would affect head retention. My first thought is no, but need to think more on it.

Right now I am doing 150-160 degrees. I keep them in there for a half hour. I put it in 1.5 quarts per pound.

Before it was half hour at 170 and I would do it in a gallon per pound.

Back